Question- Why do you guys buy and deck out an AR?

I carry a Springfield XDS daily and have a semi-auto 12ga shotgun loaded with buckshot for home defense-

-As far as a long rifle, I have no use for a long rifle outside of deer hunting which I would use 7mm.

-If I had my pick of a rifle for a combat use it would be an M14 hands down- The Army Scout I worked with carried one and it is a bad mofo

For me, I have the LR308. I bought it so I could have a short stock and the kid's can deer hunt with it. I have never filled a 20 round mag and just cut loose just to be cool. Mine has a purpose. I did change the trigger and stock but that's it.

Each item ought to have use for what you intend to use it for.

I have two 5.56 carbines

1. Red dot, ergo grip, Magpul stock, Troy Alpha rail, Back up rear sight(front sight is FSB), and foregrip
- I like the redot since its useful in the dark, I also find it easier to get on target faster.
- Ergo grip is comfortable, but the standard grip is just fine
- Magpul stock gives me a more comfortable place for my cheek
- Alpha rail is slim enough for a better grip and doesn't have rails willy nilly hurting my sissy hands.
- BUIS in case red dot goes down or I want to practice irons.
- Foregrip makes it easier to hold while walking around

At one point the above rifle was my home defense rifle. It was good for dark areas, easy grip, fast target acquisition. I also used it in "carbine classes" which I did for fun and to just become more acquainted with the AR platform.

2. P223 3x9x40, 13.8" Alpha rail, Magpul Stock, Ergo grip, nubby foregrip, Bi-pod.
- Scope has good BDC for quick holdover while hunting
- Alpha rail gives a nice free float and alot of room to rest it on something, I also like the grip
- Foregrip for walking about
- Stock for Cheek peice
- Flashlight for night hunting

This is a hunting rifle mostly intended for coyotes. the light is for shining the red light to find eye reflections, the stock for cheek weld, Scope for longer range accuracy, rail for free floated purposes.

Both rifles have a single point sling so my girly arms don't get tired.

They're my hobby and love upgrading and changing things that i believe they will enhance my shooting pleasure. Could think of other more expensive hobbies, but this is the one that attracted me the most when i was younger. Its not just AR's as i modify and change parts on all my bolt guns, shotguns, and 1911's.

certain AR upgrades are very useful if you use your weapon a lot from the range, shooting with buddies on your property, to taking some carbine classes.

What's your reason in disliking the .556 platform? :)

1. reliability issues with the receiver- we cleaned our weapons and mags almost everyday and still had malfunctions frequently- may be the weapon, may be the ammo
2. round was frequently ineffective- took many shots to neutralize a target-
3. Round will not penetrate near as good as a 7.62- lacks punch

I carry a Springfield XDS daily and have a semi-auto 12ga shotgun loaded with buckshot for home defense-

-As far as a long rifle, I have no use for a long rifle outside of deer hunting which I would use 7mm.

I agree with the selection of the 12ga, I guess my wanting a AR goes to the household weakest shooter. The AR is the first and only long gun that my wife wasn't afraid of and Liked to shoot. But back on topic, I would only have use for a Light and a Red dot, so I can see what I'm shooting and make sure I hit it.

Opinions vary. I like my M4 but I do wish for a more potent round in it like 6.8. Agree less is better when it comes to gear. I can't help to sometimes smile a little when I see a civilian with a 12 mag loadout on their digital camo flc and k-pot. It's their setup so I say to each their own.

My SBRed Ar isn't really decked out, just MI rail, Aimpoint, BUIS, vert grip, and streamlight TL1 LED for a makeshift weaponlight. That's the way I like to go when responding to a bump in the night or coyotes in the yard. I throw a spare mag in my back pocket. If things get bad, I have a 3 mag shingle I can grab.

I have one AR15 that is overly tricked out. Eotech, light/laser combo, Dueck Defense offset sights, grippod, etc.

It would probably be comical to you, since you have truly used and tested yours on the battlefield. Being in law enforcement, I have had SOME training and had to carry an AR15 (basic Colt setup, just a tac light added) on a few (very few) search warrants. Thankfully, I have never had to use it. That said, what I have done does not even compare to your training and experience.

I actually enjoy trying out various pieces of equipment and its a bit of a hobby for me to chase down and use those pieces, just for my own pleasure. Again, its fun for me. I have done the same thing with different types of workout equipment and bags (range bags, Camelbaks, etc). I try it, buy it, review it, and then decide to keep or sell it. It drives my wife crazy. One minute I have a room full of stuff I just bought (new, used, whatever) and the next day the room is almost empty because I have sold it or given it away. I guess some guys do the same thing with cars and other items.

Thats said, I just ordered an upper for an AR15 rifle that will pretty much be a KISS rifle. No eotech, lasers, lights, etc. A few Magpul upgrades to the stock and such, but that is simply because I really do prefer some of their stuff to the standard issue gear. I still enjoyed chasing down a stock, sling, and rear sight for it.

And yes, I have been called a "gear queer." LOL. Doesnt bother me.

Last edited:
1. reliability issues with the receiver- we cleaned our weapons and mags almost everyday and still had malfunctions frequently- may be the weapon, may be the ammo
2. round was frequently ineffective- took many shots to neutralize a target-
3. Round will not penetrate near as good as a 7.62- lacks punch

1 none of that damn desert dirt around here. My Ar is dead on reliable.
2 not limited to only fmj like the military is. Use TAP, TSX or 62gr Fusion, either will lay a hog and deer on it's butt. But 6.8 is MUCH more effective with 85 grain TSX.
3 stick to barrier blind loads for windshields, avoid trying to punch through cover.. Less recoil than 7.62 or shotgun so it's better for the wife to defend herself with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom