• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Questions pertaining setup for AR-15 with Eotech, Trijicon, and night vision platform

Charles R

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
56   0
Reaction score
Hey Fellow Gun Nuts,
Welcome your advice about the following 5 questions below.
Specifically regarding the L-3 Eotech 2009 & Trijicon sights 1997.
I'm new to the black rifle family so forgive me for the elementary questions.

My goal is to have a versatile firearm for protection if the SHTF and/or for coyote/predator hunting with a legal platform to utilize night vision/thermal. (Prefer military surplus and open to recommendations permitted for civilian ownership).

1. Is a Flash suppressor required to use with NV? What brand works well?

2. Are these optics designed/used primarily for Close Quarters? Is 25-50 yards defined as CQ?

3. I purchased a cheap off brand 3X magnifier without a quick release which seems to bridge short-long range. What other options are out there if any?

4. Is there a military spec/general number where these sights are zeroed? Personal Preference?
How much should I click/move up to group 50,75,100 yards? Currently I am punching dime groups at 25 yards.

5. Sell both sights on ODT and purchase a Nikon P-223 BOA scope or look for ABC Brand.

Appreciate your time.
Regards,
Charles R.

Attachments

• 0221170857-4.jpg
    0221170857-4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 14
I'm kind of confused about what you're asking. Are you looking to setup one gun to hunt with a day scope and then remove to hunt at night with a thermal/NV?

What's your budget for NV, and how are you planning to hunt? You can get decent digital NV for around $450 with a Sightmark Photon and upgraded IR, or you can go north of $10K with higher end thermal or Gen 3 NV.

Also a flash suppressor is pretty much mandatory for night hunting, and a suppressor is much better.

Batoncolle,
Appreciate you reaching out. Like anything new I need to research this more.
Sorry for the confusion. My budget is 1k and preferably much less. Ideally, One gun set for daylight with a scope and the ability pair with quick release type of NV/IR to hunt coyotes at night. A family member recently purchased an electric predator call system. 1. I want to make sure it's complaint with GA law. 2. Doesn't a suppressor require registration? any brand recommendation?

Batoncolle,
Appreciate you reaching out. Like anything new I need to research this more.
Sorry for the confusion. My budget is 1k and preferably much less. Ideally, One gun set for daylight with a scope and the ability pair with quick release type of NV/IR to hunt coyotes at night. A family member recently purchased an electric predator call system. 1. I want to make sure it's complaint with GA law. 2. Doesn't a suppressor require registration? any brand recommendation?

Yes with a suppressor, you have to go through the NFA paperwork and approval process. But you can function just fine with a flash suppressor.

The Photon is about the cheapest you can get with a digital NV and still be effective, but it doesn't lend itself well to QD. Most of the time you have to end up shimming the rear a little to sight it in so it works better with rings.

With the ATN X-Sight II, you can swap out the base for QD. I'm not sure about the Pulsar digitals, but I'd check them out when they are released later this spring. Both the ATN and Pulsars will cost a little more than the Photon, but QD will/should be doable with them.

All you really need to add is a good supplemental IR like the Evolva T38, and any of these digital NVs will come in under $1k and be very functional. The biggest downside is get you some bloom from the IR off of bushes and trees so they work best in more open areas.

EOTech, Trijicon and Aimpoint all fine for your intended purpose. SHTF is too general a term to determine exactly what you are looking for. If the SHTF for years on end, optics that don't run batteries may be a better bet.

Suppressor or flash hider is good.

Magnifiers would be better coupled with holographic sights (EOTech or new Vortex AMG UH-1) instead of red dots to prevent multiplying the MOA of the dot size and decreasing precision at distance.

Suggest not running weapons mounted NV/Thermal unless you are engaging at longer distances. Run an IR laser such as a PEQ-15 or D-Bal and goggles/mono.

Most like a 50 yard zero which results in a 175ish-245 yard zero as well depending on height over bore and grain weight (55-75g).

Click values will depend on optic.

One set up for SHTF and Coyote Hunting will be decent at both. Always suggest individual set up for each purpose for maximum effectiveness.

Back
Top Bottom