• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quickie regarding modifying ammo

So could a fellow that loaded his own ammo and loaded it "hot" stand a greater chance of getting prosecuted or sued if he shot someone with his "hot" ammo?

By the logic expressed here, he could.

Silliness,

Luke

Used to load shotgun rounds with nails, rocks, marbles..you name it but more than likely would get you in a lot of trouble these days :lol:

I agree but with one exception, if you're hunting vampires it helps to carve a cross into the tip of a FMJ round, I learned that from the movies! :D

Or you could just use my shot gun and regular ammo to kill vampires and zombies.

i50.tinypic.com_2nkq6xd.jpg

i46.tinypic.com_im1a40.jpg

i49.tinypic.com_2earktl.jpg

So could a fellow that loaded his own ammo and loaded it "hot" stand a greater chance of getting prosecuted or sued if he shot someone with his "hot" ammo?

By the logic expressed here, he could.

Silliness,

Luke

I agree that it is silly to say being shot with a factory HP +P vs. a hand loaded HP +P is silly- but I fully believe that the prosecution would take advantage of anything they could tell a jury. Dad once told me something to that effect, and I quit buying Hornady XTP bullets for loading my own defensive rounds. I just go get a box from the store and pay the $1 per shot price tag.

I keep meaning to ask the local LEOs what they are issued- I think it would be best for my council to be able to say "it's the same as the local PD" if the need should ever arise.

I agree that it is silly to say being shot with a factory HP +P vs. a hand loaded HP +P is silly- but I fully believe that the prosecution would take advantage of anything they could tell a jury. Dad once told me something to that effect, and I quit buying Hornady XTP bullets for loading my own defensive rounds. I just go get a box from the store and pay the $1 per shot price tag.

I keep meaning to ask the local LEOs what they are issued- I think it would be best for my council to be able to say "it's the same as the local PD" if the need should ever arise.

I see what you are saying, and you may be right, but couldn't a prosecutor make the same claim if a person used a 10mm instead of let's say a .40 cal.? We could play "what if's" all night, but one of the cardinal rules of gun safety is "never point a weapon at anything that you don't intend to kill or destroy" so the very act of pointing a gun at someone is proving the intention to maim or kill, isn't it?

Luke

Ayoob published some work on this years back. His position is you Never want to use anything modified or handloaded as self defense ammo. It's not about a criminal case! Even if you are in the right you open the door for the "personal Injury" guy to ask you questions about why you felt standard ammo wasn't deadly enough... His position was that Glaser Safety Slugs or Lawman sounds much better to a jury than "reverse hollow base wadcutters".

Last edited:
Ayoob published some work on this years back. His position is you Never want to use anything modified or handloaded as self defense ammo. It's not about a criminal case! Even if you are in the right you open the door for the "personal Injury" guy to ask you questions about why you felt standard ammo wasn't deadly enough... His position was that Glaser Safety Slugs or Lawman sounds much better to a jury than "reverse hollow base wadcutters".

Thats Ayoobs personal opinion, and not one derived from personal experience. He's never seen it come up in court, to say he "published some work" is giving him too much credit, he just gave a personal opinion. Try to find one case where somebody was sued or prosecuted for using homemade self defense ammo. A local attorney who used to post on Arfcom said that nobody cares what kind of bullets you use all they care about is why you fired the gun period. Bullets are made to do one thing, kill. You could just as easily say in your defense that you wanted less deadly ammo than that which is commercially available, and how would you know the difference unless your a ballistics expert? Nobody is gonna care if you bought you gold dots in bulk and loaded them or bought loaded rounds from walmart.

Make sure the perp doesn't survive.I think if you are shooting at a person who intends to harm you you better kill that person.

Yea, exactly. Remember the shooting downtown last year? The robber attempted to hold up a guy and his girlfriend and the victim pulled his gun which caused the robber to go for his. The victim then put around 7 rounds into the robbers chest. He later stated he fired until he "perceived him to no longer be a threat". If he had read Ayoobs bullcrap book he would have only fired twice.........

Getting off the fact that Procecuiters procecuting a victims whose self defense means were greater than that of your average run of the mill crack head, are just plain ole douche bags. Bullets are round and spin and we al know what happens when a spinning object is heavy on one side - a weeble wobble - are in a bullets case inaccurate. Now I am sure DeNiro had a micrometer on is x cutting template and very precise tools. But now that doyche bag might be just doing his job cause you can't shoot accurately and the crack head beat you with your inaccurate gun. If you can afford internet access you can take your bullet modifying self down to your local Wally world and get some bullets they sell Winchester pdx pretty good stuff but any bullet will do in a pinch. Stay safe

A buddy and me used to do ballistic test on cull watermelons. He had an old sawed off single 12 we would use. At close range a round loaded with copper wire ( without insulation ) would do the most internal damage. It would enter and start deflecting in every direction. For just plain destruction and gaping wounds bb's, glass, rocks, and other larger projectiles. Have always been curious about mercury in bullets, as in jaws.

Back
Top Bottom