• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quiet Air Rifle

KAHRex

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
Mods, feel free to move this if necessary.

I'm looking at getting a decent air rifle in .177 or .22, one that is very quiet for neighborhood use in P'tree City. Point me in the right direction please. Which caliber should I go with? It'd be for squirrels, opossums, coons, etc. I've got $100 to burn.

You will be looking at a Springer with only $100, and for the size of possums and coons I highly recommend 22 cal. Gamo makes some good ones but I think you will need to up the budget closer to $150.

"springers" or break-barrel spring-piston air rifles are NOT quiet.
They're as loud or louder than a .22 RF that's loading with certain types of very quiet pest control / basement range ammo.

A quiet airgun is a pump-up pneumatic. Goes from 2-10 pumps of the fore-end to give you about 800 f.p.s. velocity with a .177 pellet, or maybe 600 f.p.s. with a .22 caliber pellet.

If you can limit your shots to 20 yards or 60 feet, I say get the .22 pellet model. The "bullet" weighs a lot more and should have knockdown power and better penetration in soft tissue. I killed a lot of birds and mice and rats with a .22 air rifle (Crosman 1400) when I was a kid. But at 25 yards or longer, the low velocity gives you a trajectory like a Civil War mortar lobbing bowling balls toward a distant fort.

Have you tried Super Colobri out of a 10/22? Very quiet.

I tried those out of a Marlin 60 and 10/22. I had to operate the rifles like single shots, loading 1 at a time. Did yours actually cycle the action? I really liked those and CB's. (Are they the same thing? I think they are?) I might need to just find an old .22 bolt action and shoot those. They're plenty quiet for a PTC neighborhood. I know that pellets would be MUCH cheaper, though. I've got an angle on a Benjamin Trail NPXL .22 and I'm considering that, too.

Back
Top Bottom