• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What pellet rifle is the quietist and accurate for eliminating suburban tree rats?

They “work” in a semiautomatic, as in they’ll fire, they just don’t cycle the bolt…but my 10/22’s have charging handles and they get treated just like a straight pull bolt action. Problem solved. 🤷‍♂️
I actually believe they are quieter for me in a marlin model 60 or a ruger 10/22 versus a bolt action.

I have an older .17 that is pretty quiet but doesn’t have a suppressor, about 1200 fps and destroys the freakin tree rats.

Diana PCP that I fill with a scuba tank. Super quiet and accurate. 900fps+ and could be faster if charged higher using hand pump or compressor. I’m lazy hence the scuba tank. Diana has countless tree rats under her belt. Edit: 22cal.
IMG_2995.jpeg

A pneumatic air rifle in .22 or even .25 caliber (or 6mm, for some European models) is pretty good for squirrels while being quiet enough not to disturb or alarm the neighbors.

I used to have a Crosman model 1400 that was a ten-pump pneumatic, and with an all-lead pellet it would generate about 600 feet per second velocity. That was enough for killing birds, including pigeons and starlings. I don't think I ever shot a squirrel with it. Dad said not to try shooting a crow with it-- clearly it would not be powerful enough for a humane quick kill.

I think it would work on squirrels, though. Or rats.. regular barn rats.

1706721076996.png

My neighbors would string me up if got caught. I have a bolt action 22 with a silencer and plenty of 22 CCI quiet and various subsonic. I was hoping to find an accurate super quiet air rifle that would be more polite than a 22. Maybe I just need to use the 22 and warm the barrel with a first shot in my basement. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Maybe your neighbors would like an electrical grid mat........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........POOF.......🤣

Your best bet, once you find your air rifle or deuce-deuce, find a spot in your yard that has a back stop. It could be the bottom of a tree, with a couple of bags of dirty in front of it. You don’t have to remove the dirt from the bags. Then start practicing hitting a target in front of it, till you are pretty much used to making that shot. Then start baiting the area with corn, nuts , birdseed, peanut butter. That will get the fooquers used to hanging out in front of that spot. Then start popping the mfers. Good luck and post pictures 🙏🏽

Back
Top Bottom