• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raised Garden Bed

I've had amazing success with (vertical) tree tubes. No soil amendments other than bagged tree soil. I've never used irrigation and have yet to lose a tree that was planted in fall. It's a pom. It was not grafted. About 8' tall now. I know I'm pushing it zone wise. Its not fruiting unfortunately despite the blooms. :(
I only planted one apricot. It fruits every year (over 10 years now) but I don't spray anything so bugs and brown rot get all of them. Most everything I plant was for the wildlife. Bugs, worms and fungus are wildlife right? :doh:
Tree tubes work great on bigger trees. I like donuts for young trees. A mail order bare root tree is too small for a upright watering bag.

IMG_20200509_184836127_HDR.jpg

I get a ton of flowers on my apricot and almond, but no fruit. Late April frost kills the fruit. Since your pom is 8ft tall, I would try to tarp it in the spring, after it blooms, if overnight temps are below freezing.

Use fruit safe systemic drench in the fall on the trees (will wear out before the pollinators in the spring, but will save the tree from borores and bugs in the winter), spray with Eagle 20w and copper on the label schedule for fungus, Bonide Fruit tree spray for worms, on lable schedule

4 to 6 years. Fruit trees are a lot of work. They need to be sprayed monthly, need water 2x a week and fertilizer 2x a year.
On another hand, we picked 5 or 6 gallons of plums off one plum tree, canned 24 pints of jam, eat them raw, and selling extras. Have another 3 gallons on the tree. 2nd plum just ripened up. So more jam in the future.
It is normal for fruiy trees to produce a large crop every 2 to 3 years. Plan and can accordingly.
View attachment 2668256

PS go with dwarf or semi-dwarf varieties.
Y'all start putting up Fig preserves, I buy some the next get together if it's not to far away...I love Turkey Figs...

Tree tubes work great on bigger trees. I like donuts for young trees. A mail order bare root tree is too small for a upright watering bag.

View attachment 2669562

I get a ton of flowers on my apricot and almond, but no fruit. Late April frost kills the fruit. Since your pom is 8ft tall, I would try to tarp it in the spring, after it blooms, if overnight temps are below freezing.

Use fruit safe systemic drench in the fall on the trees (will wear out before the pollinators in the spring, but will save the tree from borores and bugs in the winter), spray with Eagle 20w and copper on the label schedule for fungus, Bonide Fruit tree spray for worms, on lable schedule
I'm not talking about irrigation. I'm talking about these. https://www.amazon.com/60-Miracle-Tree-Tube-25/dp/B077Y2513C
They work(ed) great. As far as frost kills, there was one year everything took a beating but haven't had any real problem other than that. I'm not sure of all the varieties I have anymore but everything fruits. The 'supposed' Arkansas Black and Yates have been a disappointment with light production, but again, they get little care outside very basic pruning.
Frost isn't my problem with the Pom. It didn't bloom until a few weeks back and went crazy. Still putting out a few but they just aren't fruiting. I've got pollinators galore so not sure what's up. There are flowering only Poms but that's not what this was propagated from. Who knows. Maybe next year.... I'm not going to spray. Most of my trees are at my cabin and I've got a perpetual list of "to do" there. If I lived there and really want to maximize production I would. But again, these are for the wildlife. The only thing I eat any of are the kieffer pears. I have a blueberry patch there we get plenty from but have enough at home they tend not to get much attention either.

Y'all start putting up Fig preserves, I buy some the next get together if it's not to far away...I love Turkey Figs...
I bought a mislabeled fig many years ago for the backyard. It was supposed to be BT but it's some kind of large yellow fig. I tried researching but there are something like 75 varieties! :shocked: In any case, this year has by far the biggest crop. It's a weird fig. It's not ripe, not ripe, not ripe, and then it goes ripe in ONE day. If you don't pick it on that ONE day, you can forget it. Birds will. I'm hoping to at least get a few this year.
I'd like to can some pears this year, as once again the trees are overloaded. But I say that, every, single, year.... and nada. :mmph:
Persimmons are looking good. I need to get a dehydrator. :)

I'm not talking about irrigation. I'm talking about these. https://www.amazon.com/60-Miracle-Tree-Tube-25/dp/B077Y2513C
They work(ed) great. As far as frost kills, there was one year everything took a beating but haven't had any real problem other than that. I'm not sure of all the varieties I have anymore but everything fruits. The 'supposed' Arkansas Black and Yates have been a disappointment with light production, but again, they get little care outside very basic pruning.
Frost isn't my problem with the Pom. It didn't bloom until a few weeks back and went crazy. Still putting out a few but they just aren't fruiting. I've got pollinators galore so not sure what's up. There are flowering only Poms but that's not what this was propagated from. Who knows. Maybe next year.... I'm not going to spray. Most of my trees are at my cabin and I've got a perpetual list of "to do" there. If I lived there and really want to maximize production I would. But again, these are for the wildlife. The only thing I eat any of are the kieffer pears. I have a blueberry patch there we get plenty from but have enough at home they tend not to get much attention either.
Ahh.. I do not use those. I fenced in my fruit trees with 8ft fence to keep the deer out.
Do you fertilize the trees? Fertilizer spikes are easy to use. Once in the fall, once in the spring.

Ahh.. I do not use those. I fenced in my fruit trees with 8ft fence to keep the deer out.
Do you fertilize the trees? Fertilizer spikes are easy to use. Once in the fall, once in the spring.
It's not just about physical protection from browsing (I used galvanized cages for that until they are big enough), they act as a "mini greenhouse". There is a NOTICEABLE difference in the same sized trees planted at the same time with and without. Really no comparison. Generally only need them one season. I'd let you try/have some if we were closer.
I don't use fertilizer after they are established. I know it works. Again, I'm not after maximizing production. I'm after as maintenance free as possible. ;)
That's why pears, persimmons, figs and blueberries are my favorites. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom