• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rant on high fence hunting

The hight of the fence has nothing to do with it. Just because the deer can run over to the next 100 acres does not make the hunter more skillful.
Been there many times where there is no fence, just a pack of dogs running them by a platform in the woods. Management and selective harvesting take the time and skill not just finding something and killing it.
If I had the money I'd high-fence my land to help keep the poachers and fence squatters away. In many places there is just not enough land to provide nice-sized deer for all who want to hunt. There is nothing wrong with helping the ecosystem by growing a few of your own. Fencing and feeding are not the same as tying them up and shooting them. No matter where you are a three year old dear is going to be pretty wary. But it is agonizing to go through that just so a bunch of freezer-fillers, and setup and yank everything down that roams across two or three parcels of land.

It seems to me that even amongst the ranks of " sportsmen" that there are many who don't understand game management. I don't see anything wrong with a properly run high fence. Yeah there are some who give the whole industry a black eye but with all the"Meat hunters" blasting everything that moves, it can be hard for management minded individuals to balance a healthy herd of animals without them. There are a bunch of landowners and long term club members that bust their humps and spend tons of cash improving habit and selectively harvesting large tracts that see their hard work blown to smithereens by an adjacent lease full of "meat hunters" who put their stands up and down property lines and blast everything that moves and see tagging out as a challenge. Just because itns legal dosent mean it's what's best for the land and it's resources. These are some of the things that lead to high fences. If you have a fence around your place of buisness or home to protect what you've worked for then maybe you oughtaa just give all your stuff to anyone who can see it from the street.
Baiting is another very useful management tool. Are there those who are gonna use it in a fashion many might consider inappropriate? Sure but many management minded individuals will use it as a tool to improve the overall health of the herd by being able to do side by side comparisons of it's members. Also a great training aid when used under supervision for young and inexperienced hunters. Baiting is not a whole lot different than finding a tore up place in the woods and setting up an ambush. Those who don't have the stomach for legal and more often than not ethical hunting yet let mass corporate farms do their killing for em are the ones I'll rant against.
High fences and baiting have their place

I am one of the very few younger generation who refuses to hunt from a stand. My grandfather taught me hunting involves walking and find a G-D deer, anything else (be it truck, ATV, bait, or stand) is "harvesting". You can do it if you need the meat, but don't you dare call it hunting. That pretty much sums up the speech I got when I called and told him I got my first deer out of the back of a pickup at 8 years old. Needless to say, I don't call "harvesting", "hunting" anymore.

I am one of the very few younger generation who refuses to hunt from a stand. My grandfather taught me hunting involves walking and find a G-D deer, anything else (be it truck, ATV, bait, or stand) is "harvesting". You can do it if you need the meat, but don't you dare call it hunting. That pretty much sums up the speech I got when I called and told him I got my first deer out of the back of a pickup at 8 years old. Needless to say, I don't call "harvesting", "hunting" anymore.

That cracks me up.... i have hunted hog a lot longer than I have hunted deer.... I like to stomp the creeks and such.... I can not tell you how many people/friends I have pissed off by referring to deer stand hunting as "waiting".....

Good grief, so to make hunting "fair" would you go naked in the woods with just your bare hands run down a deer?
Hunting isn't "fair", after all the point is to kill a deer, turkey, whatever-how can that ever be fair?

Hunting is harsh, but I don't see any of those who are making the put downs refusing to eat. When you eat something, it had to die, be it plant or animal.

I don't agree with some hunting methods, but if they are legal I'm not going to go on about it.

Think we all need to look at how divisive and unproductive these ideas and comments are, and figure out we are better off to band together rather than give that anti crowd ammunition(pun intended).

Last edited:
Not really any different is it than fishing a stocked lake or stream? As long as my tax dollars don't go to support it I could care less what the "professional hunter" wants to call his canned hunts. I've just about stopped hunting. This baiting bill that just passed is an embarrassment and a joke to anyone who actually hunts.

Fish can eat or not eat, a deer against a fence is just dead:cool: But I agree, slob hunters have given the sport a bad name.

Just some food for thought but alot of people like to plant food plots and put this or that variation of bagged supplements out to entice deer to stay on the property. How the manufacturers find out whether or not their stuff works alot of times is by using these fenced areas. It is easier to monitor the deer. I have never persoanlly hunted a high fenced area, and don't really have an opinion either way. They have there pro's and cons just like anything else in life

Back
Top Bottom