• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rant on high fence hunting

Yea I had a cousin saw something on tv about eating them so he ask me to catch him a couple off the farm that were grain fed and he tried it said it wasnt bad I took his word on it .

Yea I had a cousin saw something on tv about eating them so he ask me to catch him a couple off the farm that were grain fed and he tried it said it wasnt bad I took his word on it .

Dang. I bet it takes catching quite a few in order to get a good amount if meat. I guess its no different than eating squirrel.

I am not on either side of the fence but do you guys do "real" deer hunting? I do not hunt anything really, just enjoy shooting. I used to when I was younger (never really deer) but cannot find the time anymore. I used to have a buddy tell me that regular deer hunting contained no sport. He used to say that deer hunting was the equivalent to someone sniping us while we were sitting at our table eating cereal, or taking a walk through the neighborhood. And all it took was being quiet, and patience, and no talent what-so-ever. I did not fully agree but it did change my perception of hunting deer.

I want to start off by saying that I am a hunter and I hunt fair chase with a handmade longbow and handmade wooden arrows...90% of the time. I do this because I think it makes it harder and I feel more rewarding. The other 10% of the time I hunt with a rifle.

I do not hunt high fenced places and I have no desire to hunt high fenced deer BUT I feel it has it's place in a couple of scenarios. One being for the disabled folks that can't get in the woods that I can get into. If a disabled or terminally ill kid has a dream of taking a B&C buck then I'm all about getting him/her into a place and scenario where it can happen. Taking a crap shoot at hoping a bruiser walks by in the woods may not fulfill that kid's dream.
Second is for lazy ***holes that have small balls and think showing off something that has HUGE antlers will make their peckers bigger and their friends envy them. this I have no time for. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. My first longbow kill was a button buck and I consider that one of my prized trophies. I took him ethically and proud of it. Some folks may say, "never kill a button buck" but if you've scouted your property, know your herd, and know what needs to be done then you take what you can. I passed on a 4 point that same day and an 8 point about 3 weeks later on the same land.

All-in-all it is a matter of perspective and deer hunting in general should be taken differently in different areas to keep the herd and habitat healthy for everything and everyone.
Let the high fence places do what they do...for those that like it. I'll hunt somewhere else.

hunting is hunting...who's to say that fenced in hunting is not hunting. if you can pay those high prices...more power to you. just make sure you eat what you kill

Back
Top Bottom