• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rebluing firearms...

Sure_Shot

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
72   0
Reaction score
I've always done the simplistic 3 step gun rebluing... metal stripping, degreasing and then rebluing. I've always rinsed bluing gun parts in cold water to deactivate the chemical process.

For touch ups this can be frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers on rebluing touch ups?

I've reblued complete receivers and barrels but not much time in touch ups. Any help is appreciated.

I don't think that there's one perfect product since different manufacturers use different steels. But for S&W revolvers, I like Brownell's Oxpho blue. It's a cold blue product, but it seems to work better if the metal is warm (in addition to being clean.)

I've always rinsed bluing gun parts in cold water to deactivate the chemical process.
I have utilized Formula 44-40 for many years for not only touchups, but for complete receivers and barrels and I am quite satisfied with its results. This product says use HOT water to de-activate the chemical process then follow with lubricant after drying the metal and has worked well in that regard. Thanks.

If I understand your post correctly, the problem of your concern is the rinsing of a fully assembled firearm. Try 'rinsing' with a clean cotton rag[your old, stretched, rotted, & blown out underwear(after washing, of course)], soaked in a bowl of HOT(scalding) water, wipe with a dry cloth, use a heat gun/hair dryer to dry off, check for color match, then oil.

Back
Top Bottom