• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations on ar500 targets

Shalashaska523

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
I’ve never shot at steel before and am looking at getting a target but don’t know what the average prices are and who good dealers are or of local options. The biggest caliber I have is 7.62x39 and don’t see myself getting anything bigger for the foreseeable future. I really want to try my hand at longer range shooting and see how I do but would also like to use it closer for pistols the biggest being .45 acp. So what do you guys use and recommend? If i can get it on amazon it would be even better.

Got a combo set(12", 10", 8", 6", 4") from Field and Cave Outfitters for $72 shipped when they had a flash sale earlier this year. They ran out of the 3/8" AR500 in 2 of the sizes and sent 1/2" AR550 at no extra cost just to get the order out the door in a timely manner. I highly recommend them.

https://fieldandcaveoutfitters.com/

3/8" AR500 minimum for longevity. Also, the absolute best times as a normal consumer I've seen to buy were on black friday. Last year I got 2, 1/2" ar500 2/3 size silhouettes and one full size(18x30) 3/8" silhouette from shootsteel.com for under $275 shipped. I don't think all AR500 targets are created the same either. I've had a couple 8" and 12" plates wear out(crack in two) from one seller and then others last much longer. If you shoot your 7.62x39 at 100 yards or farther it'll likely take YEARS to wear out. I don't know if you can wear out 3/8" AR500 with 45acp. .223/5.56 is much harder on targets than 7.62x39.

So is $100 the average for silhouettes? I think I’d prefer 1 silhouette and just move the target where I need it. To poor to buy an assortment at the moment.
$100 sounds too cheap to me. I doubt that's a full size 18x30. I think with a nice stand for a 18x30 silhouette you'll easily be at $225-$275.

Check out best targets. They have a nice variety and with some great stands and mounts to hang them. The rebar stand is nice and portable.

We also walk along the railroad. when they replace the metal that holds the tracks to the timbers a lot of times you can find it on the side like they just toss is. I don't know what metal it is but we have some of their plates that are 8"x12" we haven't dented yet ill see if I can get some pics

Back
Top Bottom