• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

Many thanks to P protective measures and cmshoot cmshoot for all their thoughts and expertise on this thread. I've had a few of my thoughts confirmed, learned I was wrong about a few things, and got some really great ideas. The only problem I have now is figuring out how to finance a class to learn even more. Thanks for the free advice.

To cmshoot and protective measures...

On the subject of lights, I recently finished up my build
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_23af6dfff5b66f9443bf80b966241373.jpg

(PSA 16" mid-length, stainless light weight profile barrel with 13.5" keymod rail, FailZero BCG and PSA EPT trigger, Mbus pro irons, and moe furniture) and have ordered a bcm mod 4 medium ch and bcm mod 0 stock (hate the wiggle in the moe). I'm trying to keep the gun handy and light, and have started looking at white light mounts in earnest lately. I already have a TLR-1 that I normally run on my glock 17 (thanks to protective measures for gently guiding me towards glock even though I was a firm hater in the past. Got over myself and really tried one in earnest, and found a RTF2 is one of my favorite handguns period now!) But have been looking at the setups where folks have been mounting a light similar to this (sure fire x300, tlr-1, etc...) in front of their front iron sight. What are your thoughts on this method? Should I still be looking into a direct keymod offset mount and a stand alone light like the streamlight protac or sure fire scout? I hesitate to move my front sight back, as I have the irons dialed in just like I want...

This is what I'm talking about if I didn't describe it properly
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_ff0807d0cf960ead2d8911a95483d16d.jpg

Last edited:
That's how I run my light. On both my DDM4 V1's, I mounted a Surefire X300 like in the picture you attached. The rocker switch allows the light to be operated with either hand.

To cmshoot and protective measures...

On the subject of lights, I recently finished up my build
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_23af6dfff5b66f9443bf80b966241373.jpg

(PSA 16" mid-length, stainless light weight profile barrel with 13.5" keymod rail, FailZero BCG and PSA EPT trigger, Mbus pro irons, and moe furniture) and have ordered a bcm mod 4 medium ch and bcm mod 0 stock (hate the wiggle in the moe). I'm trying to keep the gun handy and light, and have started looking at white light mounts in earnest lately. I already have a TLR-1 that I normally run on my glock 17 (thanks to protective measures for gently guiding me towards glock even though I was a firm hater in the past. Got over myself and really tried one in earnest, and found a RTF2 is one of my favorite handguns period now!) But have been looking at the setups where folks have been mounting a light similar to this (sure fire x300, tlr-1, etc...) in front of their front iron sight. What are your thoughts on this method? Should I still be looking into a direct keymod offset mount and a stand alone light like the streamlight protac or sure fire scout? I hesitate to move my front sight back, as I have the irons dialed in just like I want...

This is what I'm talking about if I didn't describe it properly
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_ff0807d0cf960ead2d8911a95483d16d.jpg

Not to say right or wrong but reducing the distance between the front and rear sight usually degrades your sight accuracy. Most wing shooters use a 26" or 28" barrel shotgun not because the extra 2-4" inches gives a better pattern but because it puts the front dot further from the rear sight than a 24" or shorter barrel.

Then again, the flip-ups are usually are backup sights anyway to a red dot or scope...

Not to say right or wrong but reducing the distance between the front and rear sight usually degrades your sight accuracy. Most wing shooters use a 26" or 28" barrel shotgun not because the extra 2-4" inches gives a better pattern but because it puts the front dot further from the rear sight than a 24" or shorter barrel.

Then again, the flip-ups are usually are backup sights anyway to a red dot or scope...

You bring up the other reason I'm not 100% on board with that mounting method... And yes, I don't have an optic (yet) which is another thing to discuss entirely. Leaning towards saving up for a PRO, or maybe a vortex 1-4 with illuminated reticle

I'd be willing to give up 2"-3" in my BACK UP iron sights to be able to mount a light in that manner.

It's a moot point on the DDM4 V1, as the front sight is fixed and the rail extends past the front sight.
image.jpeg

Both my DDM4 V1's are early models, before they had different "V's"....when I got them they were just called Daniel Defense M4's as they were the only model they made.

Green is my primary. Here's the modifications I've made:
-Surefire X300
-SEI Vortex flash suppressor
-Matech rear BUIS
-Aimpoint Micro T1 in a GG&G mount that incorporates lens covers
-RRA NM 2-stage trigger with KNS pin set
-Seekins ambi-safety
-Ergo grip
-BCM medium Gunfighter charging handle
-VooDoo Innovations BCG (LifeCoat finish and integral gas key)
-McFarland gas ring
-Blue Force Gear Vickers 2-point sling
-Tango Down Stubby VFG

Sorry for crappy iPad pic

image.jpeg

20160108_225957.jpg
Many thanks to P protective measures and cmshoot cmshoot for all their thoughts and expertise on this thread. I've had a few of my thoughts confirmed, learned I was wrong about a few things, and got some really great ideas. The only problem I have now is figuring out how to finance a class to learn even more. Thanks for the free advice.

You're welcome.
I appreciate how it has stayed positive & differing opinions have not been subjected to scorn or ridicule. Also it has been interesting to see all the different set-ups.

So much of my time in training classes is spent on defensive pistol I had forgotten how much I enjoyed rifles.... ARs specifically.

I'm not finished setting it up yet but here is the new S&W M&P Magpul 15-22 Sport w/ the slim M-Lok handguard.

When done it will mirror my primary for some use personally & for a loaner to really "good" wives, girlfriends, & daughters who want to shoot with their husbands, dads, or boyfriends w/o the recoil, muzzleblast, or expense of running a full power M-4.

In the past this approach has been a great way to ease some ladies into shooting rifles... or if nothing else let's them participate in an activity their "man" enjoys & have fun while doing it.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to give up 2"-3" in my BACK UP iron sights to be able to mount a light in that manner.

It's a moot point on the DDM4 V1, as the front sight is fixed and the rail extends past the front sight. View attachment 639284

I read your earlier post about lighting positions & share many of your viewpoints... no big surprise there.
I've been experimenting w/ the 3:00 position for a few reasons.
I agree there are some good advantages to the 11:00/ 1:00 mount position but there is one thing I don't like about those positions. Sometimes the body of the light obscures my vision of the target/ threat area. Mostly an optic w/ a tall enough riser can clear the body of the light but not always.
I do really like the ambidexterous aspects of that method though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom