• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

You bring up the other reason I'm not 100% on board with that mounting method... And yes, I don't have an optic (yet) which is another thing to discuss entirely. Leaning towards saving up for a PRO, or maybe a vortex 1-4 with illuminated reticle

I agree w/ "cmshoot" on this one.
Most rifles have red-dot optics anyway only using traditional sights in a backup capacity so sight radius isn't a big issue.

To cmshoot and protective measures...

On the subject of lights, I recently finished up my build
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_23af6dfff5b66f9443bf80b966241373.jpg

(PSA 16" mid-length, stainless light weight profile barrel with 13.5" keymod rail, FailZero BCG and PSA EPT trigger, Mbus pro irons, and moe furniture) and have ordered a bcm mod 4 medium ch and bcm mod 0 stock (hate the wiggle in the moe). I'm trying to keep the gun handy and light, and have started looking at white light mounts in earnest lately. I already have a TLR-1 that I normally run on my glock 17 (thanks to protective measures for gently guiding me towards glock even though I was a firm hater in the past. Got over myself and really tried one in earnest, and found a RTF2 is one of my favorite handguns period now!) But have been looking at the setups where folks have been mounting a light similar to this (sure fire x300, tlr-1, etc...) in front of their front iron sight. What are your thoughts on this method? Should I still be looking into a direct keymod offset mount and a stand alone light like the streamlight protac or sure fire scout? I hesitate to move my front sight back, as I have the irons dialed in just like I want...

This is what I'm talking about if I didn't describe it properly
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_ff0807d0cf960ead2d8911a95483d16d.jpg

That is a very good looking set-up. Nice & clean.
I'd like to see it again when it's finished.

That is a very good looking set-up. Nice & clean.
I'd like to see it again when it's finished.

Thanks! Once I get my bcm stuff in, it'll be time to really focus on an optic, sadly I can't afford the nicer ones right now, but saving up to get at least an aimpoint. So for now, those aren't back up irons, they're my primary sights until I get my quarters counted

Thanks! Once I get my bcm stuff in, it'll be time to really focus on an optic, sadly I can't afford the nicer ones right now, but saving up to get at least an aimpoint. So for now, those aren't back up irons, they're my primary sights until I get my quarters counted

Gotcha. Everyone should know how to use iron sights anyway.
Great time to practice.

To cmshoot and protective measures...

On the subject of lights, I recently finished up my build
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_23af6dfff5b66f9443bf80b966241373.jpg

(PSA 16" mid-length, stainless light weight profile barrel with 13.5" keymod rail, FailZero BCG and PSA EPT trigger, Mbus pro irons, and moe furniture) and have ordered a bcm mod 4 medium ch and bcm mod 0 stock (hate the wiggle in the moe). I'm trying to keep the gun handy and light, and have started looking at white light mounts in earnest lately. I already have a TLR-1 that I normally run on my glock 17 (thanks to protective measures for gently guiding me towards glock even though I was a firm hater in the past. Got over myself and really tried one in earnest, and found a RTF2 is one of my favorite handguns period now!) But have been looking at the setups where folks have been mounting a light similar to this (sure fire x300, tlr-1, etc...) in front of their front iron sight. What are your thoughts on this method? Should I still be looking into a direct keymod offset mount and a stand alone light like the streamlight protac or sure fire scout? I hesitate to move my front sight back, as I have the irons dialed in just like I want...

This is what I'm talking about if I didn't describe it properly
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_01_08_ff0807d0cf960ead2d8911a95483d16d.jpg
I have had many of the PSA stainless 416r uppers and they are accurate..impressively accurate..Great looking rifle looks like my AR 10

image-jpeg.622322

20160109_175729.jpg
Pretty much finished with the .22 "trainer" M-4 lookalike.

At .06 or .07 per shot vs. .30 to .40 for .223/ 5.56 it should pay for itself pretty quick. A good .22 trainer that matches either your rifle or pistol is both a great way to ease new or "nervous" shooters into shooting the bigger guns and is also an excellent way to build repetitions (& skill) if one is unable to shoot their primary due to expense, noise, etc.

I've used these for years in classes & during casual ranges sessions with family & friends.
Both the 15-22 & the S&W M&P 22 Compact are two of the most popular guns we shoot among new shooters.

I wish I had more confidence in the CMMG conv. kits for ARs but I hear very mixed reviews.

View attachment 639942 Pretty much finished with the .22 "trainer" M-4 lookalike.

At .06 or .07 per shot vs. .30 to .40 for .223/ 5.56 it should pay for itself pretty quick. A good .22 trainer that matches either your rifle or pistol is both a great way to ease new or "nervous" shooters into shooting the bigger guns and is also an excellent way to build repetitions (& skill) if one is unable to shoot their primary due to expense, noise, etc.

I've used these for years in classes & during casual ranges sessions with family & friends.
Both the 15-22 & the S&W M&P 22 Compact are two of the most popular guns we shoot among new shooters.

I wish I had more confidence in the CMMG conv. kits for ARs but I hear very mixed reviews.

My cmmg kit works well as long as I use CCI mini mags - which are one of the more expensive brands.

Cheaper ammo usually leads to the occasional ftf but those are easily cleared with a quick pull of the charging handle.

My cmmg kit works well as long as I use CCI mini mags - which are one of the more expensive brands.

Cheaper ammo usually leads to the occasional ftf but those are easily cleared with a quick pull of the charging handle.

Friend of mine showed me several rounds with light primer strikes on his new kit.
He was pretty frustrated.

We have discussed the importance of lights on a defensive rifle let's talk budget & performance.

There was a time that there weren't many good options & some of the only choices cost several hundred dollars like the Surefire Scout.
I remember taking my factory Colt forend off, drilling holes in it & mounting scope rings with a 65 lumen Laser Products/ Surefire 6P.

My.setup now is much more effective, user-friendly, reliable, but still very economical.

It is as folllws:
Streamlight Polytac programmable light
that is weatherproof, shockproof & has
275 lumens & 3 hr. battery life............. $42
Viking Tactics offset mount.................... $27
Magpul cantilever or small regular rail... $8-$15

Total cost for the whole setup is only $75 to $90

Brighter lights are available & may be a good choice for certain applications but I've found that a good compromise for outdoor use & inside homes or businesses that have white ceilings & often light colored walls 150 to 300 lumens is a good "sweet spot" for power..... anything much over that causes a whiteout effect where even the person behind the light usually has their vision significantly impaired.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom