• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red dot VS open sights

Larryx7

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
41   0
Reaction score
So I’ve gotten older I like the red dot option. Found I like leuapold DPP 2.5 seems to work great. Also if we are thinking about competing do you recommend picking one or the other or a you go back and fourth. If so pros and cons. My son is really wanting to start may go three gun just not sure yet. Was gonna try with his sigs with open or red dot or both? And possibly trying cz shadow 2

For competition you have the benefit of going back and forth and seeing how much the change affects you. It won’t kill you to experiment, and you’ll have hard data on what works and doesn’t.

For self defense, my recommendation is to choose one, train on it, and keep it streamlined and consistent.

For competition you have the benefit of going back and forth and seeing how much the change affects you. It won’t kill you to experiment, and you’ll have hard data on what works and doesn’t.

For self defense, my recommendation is to choose one, train on it, and keep it streamlined and consistent.
Disregard this and let's turn the thread into a multi page argument about feels and how much boomers refuse to accept clear and obvious beneficial change.

dots are faster if you do the work. That's not in question.

BUT your kid should look into different divisions. when I was shooting a lot of 3 gun, a dot on a pistol meant I was in OPEN class and would have had to spend a fortune setting up an open shotgun, so I just shot iron sights.

that said, I'm currently carrying an open class pistol on my belt cause gunfights aren't supposed to be fair.

dots are faster if you do the work. That's not in question.

BUT your kid should look into different divisions. when I was shooting a lot of 3 gun, a dot on a pistol meant I was in OPEN class and would have had to spend a fortune setting up an open shotgun, so I just shot iron sights.

that said, I'm currently carrying an open class pistol on my belt cause gunfights aren't supposed to be fair.
Yeah I was surprised that the shotgun seemed the most expensive to try to put together and get right lol

Disregard this and let's turn the thread into a multi page argument about feels and how much boomers refuse to accept clear and obvious beneficial change.

Hold my beer.

IMG_7712.jpeg

I shoot one of these guns exponentially better in every way. It’s not the one the internet tells me it should be.

Now let’s see how many pages of dudes getting emotional about it we can rack up.

BTW thanks and congrats for getting him active in shooting sports. The discipline, decision making and time spent shooting with him is priceless. 👍🏻👍🏻

Let your son decide what he prefers. There’s pros & cons for both but the decision should be his based on his preferences from experience not the internet‘s.
Kinda exactly what I said his edc is a 320 xcarry with dpp and a p80 module with a cerkoted barrel in battle ship grey by 2nd caliber in Buford does great work

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom