• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Registering trailer with no papers?

PanfishInAPan

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m looking to buy an old jet ski trailer and turn it into a kayak trailer. Found a pretty good deal but is it really that easy to get it registered or is this guy pulling my leg?

Thanks
B0D593D5-CA9E-43B1-B62F-763A04685888.jpeg

8DDE0C73-C4A2-47F5-BE16-7FA0A49BBED2.jpeg

Probably varies by county. Suggest you start by telling them it is "home made". I had to get a form from the county, take the trailer by for LE inspection, local policeman signed the form saying it had lights and was "road worthy", took the form back to the county, and I was good to go. The county tag office gave me a stamped aluminum ID number that I then riveted to the trailer.

Just as simple as noted above. They are not going to make a big deal out of it.

Plus, check your local laws, any trailer under a certain weight rating does not need a tag.

Probably varies by county. Suggest you start by telling them it is "home made". I had to get a form from the county, take the trailer by for LE inspection, local policeman signed the form saying it had lights and was "road worthy", took the form back to the county, and I was good to go. The county tag office gave me a stamped aluminum ID number that I then riveted to the trailer.
In Henry County, I did the same thing except the police officer drove by my house to check the trailer. Took form to office and plate issued. Mine was manufactured, had in N C and never been registered. Easy process

It’s “simple…” Going through the process right now, with a “homemade” 7x14. A bill of sale might be good enough for Jetski trailers, IDK.

Back
Top Bottom