Reloading 22LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMan

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
75   0
Reaction score
There was another post here in which a new reloader was asking about reloading 22's. I and some other people said that you can't reload 22's (ie 22LR) but RamRoddoc said that our statement wasn't honestly truthful. I was about to reply back and talk about how the brass is deformed by the firing pin and you can't get the supplies to reload them but I knew it was done by some people back in the 1950s, so I thought I would dig a little deeper.

Turns out you can actually get dies for 22LR from CH4D (www.ch4d.com) at $95.00 for a three die set. Now I still haven't found a source for the liquid primer (dangerous stuff) and replacement bullets but it got me thinking...what if you could reload them? Granted, it would be cost prohibitive (like the prices some people are charging on this forum for them) but it might be worth a try just for giggles.

Anyone have any sources for some of the supplies that might be needed? Maybe some old moulds for casting 22LR? Or maybe a source for the primer? Finding load data should be interesting as well.

Let me know...

It would be nice, in my area its hard to find sub sonic and hyper velocity 22. back in my home down its damn near impossible. nothing beats a suppressed bolt .22 running subsonic when youre living off squirrels in the middle of nowhere (i did this for fun, gotta get away from people and just enjoy life)

If you reload your own 22LR, you could make any type of round you want - Hyper velocity, sub sonic, quiet.

Thinking of the economics, sure its cheaper to buy it already made. Since when do we use all of our time productivly?

I think the bigger problem of making your own 22Lr would be forming the boolit. Since these have a tiny ball/crimp grove on the bottom, I figure you'd better be served by swaging the bullet. Of course, you also have to work out making the priming compound. I would solve the priming compound first before I even approached the swaging problem.

always thought it would be cool the reload 22lr. However, my fat fingers can barely hold onto 9mm, I cant even imagine how many knocked over 22's I would have.

I heard a while back a guy use the tips if strike anywhere matches cut with isopropyl. Made into a paste. Syringe into the rim. Chucked in a drill and spun to get a even coat.

I have a reloading book that says it is possible to reload .22s, but the priming compound is not sold commercially and you would have to make it yourself. Went into it a bit more than that, but basically said it's not worth the effort.

It's possible.. But a lot of people don't even bother reloading 9mm when it's 20¢/round for plinking ammo. Even at a quarter to a fifth of that price, you've got your usual $20-25 brick.

the priming compound is not sold commercially and you would have to make it yourself

Yep, the priming compound (from what I have read) is fairly stable when it is wet but once it dries, watch out! And I would prefer not to wind up on someone's watch list for trying to make the stuff.

Occasionally, you can find primed brass. Now that is what I want to get my hands on. If anyone sees some available, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom