• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading 762x39

woodstock

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
INCARCERATED. DO NOT FEED
77   0
Reaction score
Anyone bother to reload this?
I'm thinking about it since my range doesn't allow anything that attracts a magnet to be used and the price of brass cased boxer primed copper bullet is at least .50 a round.

Gotta find some brass and get a die set, figure it will pay for itself pretty quick at those prices. See some of them use a large primer too.

Thoughts on where to get the brass, preferably local?

I think I can get some brass local after doing some more digging.

Have to decide whether to go with 308 or 310/311.
Guess I can try to measure at the muzzle. Which did you go with?

I used to cast and load for 7.62x39. Casting is where the real savings are, but it's at least as involved a hobby as reloading itself, so only go there if you've got plenty of time.

Unless you are shooting an older Mini 30, skip .308 projectiles in favor of .311 to .312 projectiles. I was casting a Lee .312-155 grain (see below) that worked really well over a charge of IMR 4895. There are lots of good loads for 7.62x39; magnum pistol powders, fast and medium rifle powders. I also cast .310 44 grain round round balls (for homemade buckshot loads), and found it was a lot of fun to press one of those into a 7.62x39 case over 5 grains of Red Dot. If you have an SKS, particularly a Yugo with the gas cut off, it shoots like a 22. Kids and recoil shy folks can enjoy an SKS as a single shot tin can plinker.

LEE90385.jpg

I've reloaded this as well. I slugged my bore and it was .312 (same as my Enfield).

You may know this, so please don't assume I'm Mr. Reloading Know it All, but I didn't know this until I purchased some brass:

There are small and large primer cases out there for 7.62 x 39.

I caught it when sorting clean brass, but I hadn't seen this anomaly listed anywhere.

Midsouth Shooters used to have bulk .311-.312 bullets for sale.

I haven't had any problems using .308 bullets in com bloc 7.62. They do fully engage the rifling in x39 and x54R. 125gr NBTs work great in the x39 and loaded 180 Nabs in the 54R. The necks do need a little extra attention when loading em though if you use .308 bullets to keep em from slipping.
Plenty accurate and excellent for hunting. They're after all hunting bullets. This method is not really practical for the range. Not yet anyway.
Winchester for brass and best source probably wont be local.

I have thought about reloading x39 but so far I can shoot bi-metal bullets, if you want to shoot .312 bullets xtreme bullets has them for .09 cents a piece and they are copper plated. Best price I have seen on plated.

Ive got nearly a full 30 cal ammo can full of new unprimed lapua brass. I cant let all of it go but will sell some. I bought it from midway and will sell it for what they are selling it for since it is still new brass.

Back
Top Bottom