• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Block Template

jeffdt

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
25   0
Reaction score
Here's a template you can use to make your own wooden reloading blocks. You can use whatever wood you have laying around or go exotic for custom blocks. I made some .223 blocks out of some Ipe I had left over. I ran the blocks on edge thru the table saw with the blade 1/8" high, turned them around ran them again to create two finger groves on all edges. Easier to pick up. Save the pic and print it. Cut it out and lay on your blanks and use an awl or a nail to mark your centers. Or a 1/16" drill bit works well to. I used a 3/8" brad point bit to drill to about 1/4" from the bottom of my blank. The brad point bit centers itself in your pre-marked holes. I used 5/4 stock and flattened the hole bottoms out with a forstner bit. Then i chucked up my L.E. Wilson chamfering tool in the drill press and chamfered all the holes. Makes case insertion easy.

Loading block.jpg

Use whatever diameter drill bit is appropriate for different caliber cases.

Last edited:
Hmmm ...
The obvious question that jumps into my mind:
Could some thick Lexan stock be stacked so as to produce several of these at a tim e ..
Rectangles also cut from thinner Lexan could be glued onto them to form the base / bottoms (?)

Sure could, Better yet if you could get your hands on some 1" Delrin sheet stock on the cheap. Indestructible and dishwasher safe. Several years ago I ebayed some solid 3/4" aluminum 22 hornet fifty round blocks an older machinist had milled. Actually some slim lexan would make a great permanent template. Cut it to size and drill the fifty 1/8" holes then clamp it to whatever stock you wish to use.

Last edited:
The first two pics are of a block milled from Delrin. The next three pics are out of Brazilian Ipe , the hardest wood in the world, same fire rating as concrete and steel, So dense it sinks in water. .223 brass courtesy of Fred Hobbs here on the Trader.

IMAG0325.jpgIMAG0326.jpgIMAG0327.jpgIMAG0328.jpgIMAG0329.jpgIMAG0329.jpg

The first two pics are of a block milled from Delrin. The next three pics are out of Brazilian Ipe , the hardest wood in the world, same fire rating as concrete and steel, So dense it sinks in water. .223 brass courtesy of Fred Hobbs here on the Trader.

View attachment 285150View attachment 285151View attachment 285152View attachment 285156View attachment 285157View attachment 285157

Very nice, I am intrigued with that wood, where did you get it? How much is it? Those are very nice, what stain/finish is on the wood?
Cmax:cool:

Back
Top Bottom