• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading for self defense...

unless you decide to tell Leos you used reloads, why would it ever come up? Maybe they would ask this or check your ammo but I think it would not be something that would be of interest.
:D

According to writings by Masad Ayoob (spelling?) Guns used in shootings are sent to firearms labratorys and the trigger pull is checked during analysis and the ammunition is also checked. We watched the entire George Zimmerman trial (wife&I both retired) and the tech. reported both the trigger and ammo were "In Spec.", so these things are checked as a matter of course. The reloaded ammo might be legal in itself but a prosecutor might/has argued that the handloaded ammo was meant cause more damage and was created in anticipation of shooting someone, or something to that effect. Unfortunately many jurors don't have a clue about guns and buy into the prosecutors argument.
For these reasons I only carry with factory ammo and leave my triggers to factory specification. I just don't need or want the extra hassle.

Once again, there has never been a successful conviction based on use of reloaded ammunition. There are only two cases that come up in which reloaded ammo was even a concern.

If you reload to SAAMI specs and especially if you reload to the ballistic equivalent of an accepted loading it would be hard to prove that your reloads were loaded for some nefarious reason.

First thing I kind of do when someone states what Ayoob says is to start noting that while this gentleman is somewhat of an expert, he is really a paid Witness and so only deals with a certain prospective, which is what the one paying him has.
To quote what every ballistic lab or police department does or does Not do is not truthful to say the least.
My question is what exactly does "IN SPEC" mean?
now you can get factory specifications for general trigger pulls of a weapon from the factory, but that normally varies by several pounds from gun to gun.
the question of "IN SPEC" ammunition is much more questionable?
IN Spec for ammo pretty much means its within SAAMI or CIP pressures levels/ measurements for certain TESTED ammo, not all factory ammo has any SAAMI pressure/ measurement ratings and several factory ammo exceed those recognized pressures as well (Buffalo Bore for one), additionally if the ammo was not "IN SPEC" for the caliber then it would not function in the particular caliber weapon.
then there are different specs depending on power of ammunition.
I would venture to say that most all Quality reloaded ammo falls within "SPECS'.
just a bit of a reality check here.
Perhaps IN SPEC was not exactly what was said?

Back
Top Bottom