• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Question

What about 12 ga slug and shot loading?
Totally different ball game. You need a shotgun shell reloading setup. Supplies i.e. Hulls, wads, powder, shot/slugs, reloading manuals.

Metallic reloading based on cost savings alone is probably not the best reason. Yes you can save after recouping equipment and supplies cost. If you look at reloading just for the sake of cost you'll probably get bored. Then when you try to offload equipment. You'll never sell for what you paid.

Bottom-line: I reload for custom, accurate, experimental, wildcat loads. I've reloaded since junior high so thats about 50 years and I dont think I'e recouped my cost :p

Last edited:
What about 12 ga slug and shot loading?

I've looked into this occasionally over the past 40 years of my experience in reloading and cannot (and never have ever been able to) cost-justify reloading 12 Gauge Clay's loads (2-3/4 2.75 DE 1-1/8 OZ 9 Shot) verses purchasing them retail. Careful shopping will get them for ~$6 per box of 25 ... and the prices are starting to drop (this includes all retail ammo of any caliber!).

On the other hand, if you are shooting some exotic gauge (10's / 16's / 28's / 410's)... you could save some coin ... but has its frustrations (like getting a good crimp and still having shot leak all over the place!)

^ I discovered the same as Clarke123. Not really worth the trouble and the guys I found that find it worth the trouble shoot thousands of shotgun rounds a year to reload shotgun.

However, anyone can make wax cut shotgun rounds and have a poor man's or a prepper's slug. Iraqveteran8888 from here in Georgia has done quite a bit of Youtube videos on it. The older fellow in the video ran into a string of bad choices and is no longer with us-RIP.

Out of a pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much good advice given. I started reloading 30+ years ago to support my shooting habit. Now I have 3 hobbies. Casting, reloading, and shooting. Can load 223 for $16 per 100. But I load pistol for around $5 per 100. I actually enjoy loading as much as shooting. Beware...it's all habit forming : )

Something that I didn't see mentioned in this thread is the wide availability of used equipment. Reloading gear, with few exceptions, doesn't really wear out or otherwise fail due to age.

My two main presses were bought used for around thirty cents on the dollar, and they both included large amounts of components. Those which I didn't need, I've traded off over the years.

I continue to find this to be the best way to buy reloading gear if I have the time... Buy in large, used lots and sort out what I need from what I don't. Often, I'm able to recoup 50+% of the expense while holding onto some of the nicer items that I'll actually use.

Reducing the initial expenditure on equipment goes a long way to make reloading a cost saving process.

Many other good points have already been made (ex: easier to make your money back on exotic cartridge or match/hunting ammo reloading than blasting ammo).

Wow RJ67, I was gonna mention that I started with a used RCBS jr., then I peeked at the reloading classifieds and saw you have one for sale. Great little press. Good advice you added.

Back
Top Bottom