• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading software databases?

Dr. Strangelove

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
What is everyone using? I'm looking for a free or cheap download, I've tried Point Blank and Reloaders Resource, both of which are OK, but not really what I'm looking for...

Sigh.. guess I'll have to break down and pay for something unless someone has another idea...;)

I use an Excel spreadsheet. Has one tab each for pistol, rifle, shotgun. Has columns you'd expect to find such as cartridge, OAL, bullet/weight, powder charge, primer, construction notes, performance notes. It's a simple matter to put it together if you are at all comfortable with spreadsheets. If you don't have Excel, you can download Open Office (and whatever they call the spreadsheet tool in that suite) and do something similar. I've been using the same spreadsheet for years.

I'm happy to share a blank template of it if anyone wants it.

I still use a notebook but am interested in upgrading and seeing what knowledge I can gain.

Can I get one of those blank templates rbstern?

Sure thing.

There are three tabs in the spreadsheet: Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun. I've scrubbed my data and entered an example load for each. All of the costs are meant to be entered in dollar notation. For example, if a primer is 2 cents, enter it as ".02". The spreadsheet is set up to tally the cost per round and cost per batch. Obviously, you can adapt the spreadsheet as you see fit.

If the formulas look confusing, it's mostly because there is a formula for calculating the cost of the powder per round that goes something like this:

Cost of powder per pound / 7000 grains * grains per round = cost of powder per round (in dollars)

You can also just plug in a manual amount (in cents per load of powder) for that value, if it's easier for you.

This spreadsheet should load in any version of Excel, 97 thru 2010, and should also work with any software that cleanly handles Excel files. Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date and running. While I run several different anti-virus/anti-malware applications and feel very comfortable that I am uploading a clean file, it's always good practice with an Excel spreadsheet to confirm it is virus free. Don't pass the spreadsheet to others from your PC unless you have verified you are passing something free of malware and viruses.

http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/reload_log_book_template.xls

Back
Top Bottom