• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington Rolling block butt stock pics

It is good that you want to learn. At this point I am way to intimidated to start a project like you have. I know I need to start small but for now I will just watch you.;)

Today 2nd4ever helped me get the rimfire converted to a cenrerfire to about a 95% completion. And I am now on the hunt for a 5/8 plug cutter or find something makeshift and go with it to finish off the tang.

I found the part I needed to finish up so it is done! I will post pics tomorrow when the stain is finished drying.

This was my first ever attempt at a stock, having said that it is not perfect. It has a couple of spots but overall I am very pleased.

Ok here are the pics. The stock is not screwed to the action so it's not as close as it will be assembled. I applied one coat of true oil today and my finish swirled and the stain was lifted. So I am going to strip it and start over. It also showed some places I need to sand and blend more. I didn't see them last nite, so I guess the finish screwing up is a good thing.

Also the stock was made a little bigger than the original with more wood in the tang to help avoid it splitting as most do. I might add the original stock in the picture has been planed to half thickness.

finish swirl and stain lifted is that due to something contacting the finish or was it something that was on the wood?
I really don't know. The wood was sanded to a 320 grit. I am guessing maybe to fine a finish and then just the tru oil lifting it up. It has been stripped and sand down to a 120. Stain has been reapplied and next stop will be a spray on poly.

Ok so here it is stripped, sanded, stained, and sprayed with polyurethane. Once this dries I will steel wool it and reapply a couple more coats.

Looks good to me. In post # 34 picture 3 the close up side view it looks more brown is that the true color or is it more red like the other pictures? I have a Remington Sportmaster model 512 that is red.It is from the late 40"s.Just took the stock outside and looked at it close I am sure it has been refinished.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom