• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacement Fuel Pump Question...

ya, i knocked on the cats and no rattle. from my understanding, that means they are good. also if they are bad, they glow red hot when you are at operating temp and mine dont.

Not so much. If they got too hot, even for a short time they can begin to melt down internally. This causes a restriction inside the Cat, like trying to run the mile with a clogged nose. ANyway not trying to get ahead of the game, like I said one issue at a time to resolve.

try wiggling the wires while it is running. I had enough of my f150 so I traded it (one payment left on it), I bought my mom a used continental it had the same issues. They took it to a Ford dealership, the guy fixed it in the wiring under the hood. He said it is a common problem and an easy fix. I took my f150 to 2 other Ford dealerships and the both wanted to replace all of the coil packs 800+ that I just replaced. My problems started when I had the spark plugs replaced. Once you move around the wiring its over.

10-4 ill try that when i get home. driving dads jeep, dont trust my truck to drive it to work, and dont want to risk damaging anything. yep, coil packs are 40-50 bucks a pop, injectors are about 30. not cheap when you have 8 cylinders lol.

Also if you do change the pugs, be VERY careful to not over tighten them. You can strip the aluminum threads and blow a plug.

- - - Updated - - -

Another Ford engineering flaw.

oh yeah, the plugs are a pain. specially if you have the original 2-peice design that break when you try to pull them and have to get a isle tool to get them out. or pull the heads.

every brand has flaws, no manufacture is perfect. if there was one, it would be the only one on the road :)

Oh for the days...
My grandfather was blind. I remember him riding in my dad's Rambler and making comments like "Running a tad rich, don't you think," or Idlin' a touch high, don't you think." The response was always, Yes Sir, I'll take care of it." My uncle told stories of having car issues and calling him. He would hold the phone out the garage door and my grandfather would tell him what to do. My father always laughed at the story and nodded. He had owned a garage/gas station before the depression.

Oh for the days...
My grandfather was blind. I remember him riding in my dad's Rambler and making comments like "Running a tad rich, don't you think," or Idlin' a touch high, don't you think." The response was always, Yes Sir, I'll take care of it." My uncle told stories of having car issues and calling him. He would hold the phone out the garage door and my grandfather would tell him what to do. My father always laughed at the story and nodded. He had owned a garage/gas station before the depression with his brother.

my first truck was a 78 f100. all you needed to do was listen to hear what the problem was and fix it once. soooooooo much easier to work on, and cheaper.

oh yeah, the plugs are a pain. specially if you have the original 2-peice design that break when you try to pull them and have to get a isle tool to get them out. or pull the heads.

every brand has flaws, no manufacture is perfect. if there was one, it would be the only one on the road :)

Agreed, but they way Ford hid their defects and told their customers to pretty much piss off because it was not a "safety issue" to do a recall. Google F150's blowing out spark plugs.

I have been in the Auto repair business since I was, well lets just say a long time 30+ years. They all have issues, they all deny those issues.
Honda transmission is a good case study. Blown out plugs in a cylinder head do not just happen, there is an underlying cause. Improper torque,cross threaded, etc.There is a TSb on some 4.6 that had only four or five threads in the plug hole during manufacturing. That is a defect and the TSB is not hidden. Modern engines in most vehicles do not require spark plug replacement for 100k they get better fuel mileage, run cleaner and last longer than the cars of old. I do not miss rebuilding carbs curving distributors and setting dwell time on points. Hell they even use oil filters these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom