• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Required Classes

MaconGuns

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
Opinions on requiring a class to get a permit for all States.

Texas CHL Shooting Test
The Texas Concealed Handgun License Proficiency Test is not a difficult shooting test to pass. It is a timed test designed with plenty of time to get your shots off.

Handgun CHL Requirements
Must be a .32 caliber or higher to qualify. There is no minimum caliber to legally carry as long as it is a legal pistol.

There is no longer a classification of concealed handgun license. If you qualify with a revolver you can carry a semi-automatic.

Number of Rounds Fired
The shooting test requires 50 rounds of ammunition

CHL Shooting Distances
The CHL Shooting test is fired at three distances:

• 3 yards – 20 rounds fired
  • 7 yards – 20 rounds fired
  • 15 yards – 10 rounds fired
The majority of students pass the proficiency test when they have completed shooting at 3 and 7 yards.

CHL Shooting Proficiency Test Scoring
  • 5 points – shots fired in the X, 10, 9, & 8 rings
  • 4 points – shots fired in the 7 ring
  • 3 points – shots fired outside the 7 ring but on the silhouette
  • 0 points – shots fired outside the silhouette or off the target paper
  • Shots that hit just outside the ring but break the line count as the higher score

I would imagine most people will think it's a terrible idea to have a required test. I would be curious as to what this test is though. There a a bunch of key details missing such as the time allowed, required score to pass, and target size.

Something I do think would be cool though... Since we are already required to pay a tax on our right to carry... I think it would be cool if they gave you a credit in the amount of the permit cost that could be used towards training of your choice. If it was really about safety this would make a lot of sense. Of course it would be better if we weren't taxed and we could spend our money how we want...

Something I do think would be cool though... Since we are already required to pay a tax on our right to carry... I think it would be cool if they gave you a credit in the amount of the permit cost that could be used towards training of your choice. If it was really about safety this would make a lot of sense. Of course it would be better if we weren't taxed and we could spend our money how we want...
Yep. I have to renew in 2018. I hate the process of getting fingerprinted and all. It makes me feel like a criminal.

Interesting that we pay for a carry permit. You have a right to a lawyer yet, you have to pay for that. You have a right to drive on roads paid by taxes but, you need to pay for a license. Im getting off the subject....

Ive seen plenty of people at the gun counter that have no clue how to operate a firearm. Half come up with no idea what they want and let the guy across the counter talk them into what they like. I would rather that person have some form of familiarization if they plan on carrying that in a mall. We have driving tests since a car is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. Why not school people on how to protect themselves and others?

Back
Top Bottom