• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Revolver or semi auto what do you like best.

I have both and enjoy them equally..the only high capacity I have is my LEO issue that was given to me upon retirement. Haven't carried it in several years, Usually carry a S&W 60 with 5 xtra in speed loader.
Now if you are counting rounds and plan to ambush me, I must warn you, I am a sneaky old Fart and might just have an extra that I didn't tell you about.

Last edited:
thats 38, not 357. also lots of hp's are messed up by the denim test. that has nothing to do with barrel length. 357 mag with 125 grn hp's has always set the standard as far as man stoppers.

I don't want to get in a ballistics argument but if you actually get into an armed confrontation there's a 99% chance your adversary will only be a double arms length away at best, so you aren't working with a lot of distance for expansion to begin with..Most ballistics charts report stats from 25, 50, 100 yds etc and you just aren't going to have that to work with in a gun fight. That's why LEOs carry specially designed ammo for shocking power (energy in foot lbs, thats what knocks you off your feet) and to expand and break up on contact creating multiple fragments to do as much damage as possible inside the body (before anyone starts Cops are trying to kill everybody..the idea is to create immediate and instantaneous, maximum damage to prevent the bad guy from being able to continue the fight..put him down and out immediately, REMOVE THE THREAT.
That's why .22's, 25's and 32's aren't recommended for personal protection, they don't have that disabling shocking power..The guy shot with a .22 will most likely die but it will be sometime after he is shot. The small caliber will ricochet and bounce off bones moving in a number of directions and puncturing intestines, lungs, kidneys etc creating enormous amounts of internal bleeding and infection.
Incapacitating a bad guy two days later doesn't help you now..you want him and his threat over now.

thats 38, not 357. also lots of hp's are messed up by the denim test. that has nothing to do with barrel length. 357 mag with 125 grn hp's has always set the standard as far as man stoppers.

If you continue in the article they actually state there is no benefit to the 357mag in a short barrel Revolver, I don't doubt .357, I just doubt any round out of the revolver's tiny barrel. I think the legendary manstopper status may have been acheived when officers carried it in larger barrel lengths. The FBI tests I've viewed generally came to the consensus that it fails the denim test due to bullet instability that doesn't allow the hollow cavity to properly fill with tissue.

"There is no reason to go with .357 mag in a J-frame, as the significantly larger muzzle blast and flash, and harsher recoil of the .357 Magnum does not result in substantially improved terminal performance compared to the more controllable .38 Special bullets when fired from 2” barrels."

If you do some extra research you can find hundreds of tests that say different. Get some meet and ok'd clothing and do your own tests. Might be surprised.

Anyone who has seen my posts, knows that I love ole S&W wheelguns. Have more than a few and carried one for years. I also have several 1911's, but I seldom carry one. My carry weapon of choice now is a LCP with the laser. It conceals easily and I shoot it well, not great mind you, but well. While it does not have the fire power of others weapons I could carry, it will let me return fire and get the heck out of there. But if you do not like S&W wheelguns, let me know. I could take a few off your hands. lol

Back
Top Bottom