• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Revolver or semi auto what do you like best.

I also like both... Here in Wisconsin we (still) only have Open Carry so I carry my wheel gun (Taurus Judge - 45 Cal. / 410 Shotgun).. When we finally get either "Conceal Carry" or "Constitutional Carry" I would C.C. with my XD 40 and open carry with either the XD or the Judge...

Edited to Add....

Judge = 5 shot w/ 2 full speed loaders on the belt= 15 total...
XD 40 with H.C. 12 round Mag... = 12 + 1 plus extra H.C. Mag = 25 total....

Outdoorsman

Last edited:
I like both but only own an auto. My father raised me on the Dan Wesson 715 kit chambered in 357 magnum. I watched him kill all that walked in up state NY with one. Then to try out his CC skills he bought a Jennings .380, then a D&W Valor 1911. The only gun he likes to shoot constantly is his 715 his logic is there is nothing that can happen mechanically to make a well maintained revolver fail but an auto can always fail even if properly maintained. Something about his way of thinking always makes me wonder if a conflict happens will my gun be the one he talked about as I strap on my holster and semi auto hand gun.

Anyone who has seen my posts, knows that I love ole S&W wheelguns. Have more than a few and carried one for years. I also have several 1911's, but I seldom carry one. My carry weapon of choice now is a LCP with the laser. It conceals easily and I shoot it well, not great mind you, but well. While it does not have the fire power of others weapons I could carry, it will let me return fire and get the heck out of there. But if you do not like S&W wheelguns, let me know. I could take a few off your hands. lol

You know whats going on.
Gunfights are over in about 5 seconds give or take 1 and if the shooters are half decent by the time five rounds are fired, someone should be in real bad shape. 15, 16, 20 rounds are just extra weight to carry...

You know whats going on.
Gunfights are over in about 5 seconds give or take 1 and if the shooters are half decent by the time five rounds are fired, someone should be in real bad shape. 15, 16, 20 rounds are just extra weight to carry...

One spare mag should be carried in case of a mag failure.

I carry two.....because I can. 40 rounds of ammo total including the 10 in the gun.

Wheel guns are great, but I would not carry one for self defense. They are to easy to defeat at close range. All the BG has to do is grab the cylinder and you can't fire it. If they grab a semi auto it will probably malfunction also.....on the second shot.

True...

Kinda.

If that dude grabs your gun, what are you going to do? Let him hold on to it? Me, I'm going to make him let go in a hurry. Then I can shoot him. With an auto, once that first shot is gone, your gun is empty until you rack the slide.

Also, if need be, you can shoot the revolver from a pocket. Try that with an auto and, once again, you end up with a single shot.

Having said all this, I prefer autos.

One spare mag should be carried in case of a mag failure.

I carry two.....because I can. 40 rounds of ammo total including the 10 in the gun.

I fully agree and do it myself when in semi mode..sound judgement, failure is always a possibility..I was making the point in a shootout, it'd be over before you could EFFECTIVELY AND SAFELY expend all 20 or 30 rds. although they are great fun on th range or in the woods.
Your post also reminds me to stress to all whatever you carry, practice, practice, practice reloading drills until you are extremely competent and fast...YOU ARE MOST VULNERABLE WHEN YOU ARE RELOADING and train yourself NOT to fire your weapon dry before you go to reload. Learn to reload without looking so you can keep your eyes and weapon pointed down range just in case the bad guy decides you're out of ammo and he 'll just walk up and shoot you. If you are using a revolver then speed and proper technique in reloading are essential to your survival if the situation gets to a reloading point...course if it gets that far along, you have really messed up and gotten yourself in a bad..bad place...nonetheless, you should be prepared...like a guy said in another post..he keeps a fire extinguisher at home, not because he thinks his house will catch on fire but if it should happen he won't be totally helpless.

Wheel guns are great, but I would not carry one for self defense. They are to easy to defeat at close range. All the BG has to do is grab the cylinder and you can't fire it. If they grab a semi auto it will probably malfunction also.....on the second shot.

Weapon retention training!!!!!!!!!

Semi all the way. I just don't like a revolver. I don't really have a reason but they don't appeal to me.

Back
Top Bottom