• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RIBS; dry, wet, or both

Dry,Wet,or Both

• Total voters
One thing I have noticed is that the Smithfield and Swift Premium ribs turn out much better than the generic store variety. Well worth the extra pennies. I can only do 10 racks at a time with the current RecTec setup. Neighbors really hate me when I do this as whole neighborhood smells like ribs for the day. LOL

Especially if you use pecan, and cherry woods, with about 3-4 cinnamon sticks in apple juice when smoking, our neighbors come out of the wood work... What a great smoke flavor in the area. Had four cars of sheriff deputy's stop by we fed them until they just fell off the table bench, we added fries, potato salad, cole slaw and baked a cinnamon apple pie in a dutch oven, they come by my house all the time now. Really great guys... Food really gets people together fast and quick.

May we use some of your ideas next time we smoke about 15-20 rib racks??? You have given us some new ideas to use. Thanks, for making us think about options we can use...

A question for you guys that are doing many racks at a time. Are you cooking that many for a crowd; or are you saving some for future use? If you are saving, what is your method of saving and reheating. I have a Food Saver vacuum packer; but I have never tried to use it with ribs that are already cooked.

A question for you guys that are doing many racks at a time. Are you cooking that many for a crowd; or are you saving some for future use? If you are saving, what is your method of saving and reheating. I have a Food Saver vacuum packer; but I have never tried to use it with ribs that are already cooked.
I usually do 12 full slabs of Danish back ribs or #8s as the old timers called them. I don't like the St. Louis style ribs. I've never had any last more than two days in the frig after cooking, LOL.

Ok Friends I’ll lay it out for y’all.
THE RUB
Start with Whole pepper corns
Kosher Salt 1/2
Ground Black Pepper 1/2
Hungarian Paprika 1/2
Garlic powder. 1/2
Chili powder. 1/4
White Pepper 1/4
Turbino Sugar 1/4 to a 1/2 based on your Sweet /Heat personal ratio
Cocoa Powder small amount based on size of Dry rub batch. 1/4 cup at least

Put all that in spice grinder pulse till pepper corns are 1/4 sized bigger or smaller depending on wether you mind chewing soft cooked pepper corns.

Cover ribs copiously

THE TUB.
PreHeat OVEN 350°

Remove the chine dress the ribs with a few passes of a sharp knife across the back side of the bones.

Stand ribs up in a brownie type pan high wall type.
Pour in Chicken stock till 1/4 of pan bottom is covered ( a can or 1/2 a box of the good stuff. ‘

Cover ribs in foil start in 350° oven for 35 min.
Remove from oven change temp to 220° for 4 hours for three full racks
Check ribs at 4 hour mark. If the whites of the bones are showing. ... and the bone turns in the meat they are done.
Allow to rest in pan till cool ( makes the house smell better)

When cool store in Refrigerator till time to serve.
......Here is the Good Stuff....

Fire your grill up medium heat, and mop your sauce on Bone side down. Get them sloppy
Then turn them bone side up and carmelize the top part with Grill marks like your steaks
You know the 1/4 turn method you learned at Applebee’s as a Line cook in the 90’s minus the Cocaine and Weed.

just my Two Cents.

That was probably my longest post yet.

Optional Home Style Sauce
Strain the Chicken Stock keep liquid not fat.

Stock
Ketchup
Lee and Perrins
Yellow mustard or Whole grain
Lemon Juice
Apple Cider vinegar
Crystal Hot sauce
Karo Corn syrup
Spices.
Your choice.

EB9DE516-F492-4A20-86EB-308381031F71.jpeg

Well we have a food saver and what does not get devoured we vacuum pack them and when some of the fellow hunters stop by we just put them in the oven for a while and we can serve some to them, however we get our fair share also. One buddy of mine comes over on Thursday/Friday, bunks at the house during deer season because his wife does not like to woke up early in the morning and so we have chicken, chicken wings, chili, hot dogs, pork loin, and other foods which we have cooked previously and meals are taken care of without a long wait times when get back from the woods. We just add potato salad, cole slaw, salad, green beans, asparagus with steaks, baked potato, coconut cream pie, carrot cake, apple pie, with french vanilla ice cream... However we do buy when we find the sales of the various types of meats on sale, so it makes the cost more manageable in stead plunking down all the money at one time. We do cook a little differently than most, we add the seasonings and all to the meats and then vacuum pack them freeze them, and when we decide to crank up the BGE, we cook the meats frozen solid, yes we said frozen, the meat stays so tender because of the frozen process the meat comes out so tender, juicy, and great tasting everyone has their own little different ways of cooking. We do enjoy cooking for flavor, the aroma, the smell of the different woods, spices. Helps sharpen your ability to recognize the different meats cooking also.

When we go to some of our favorite BBQ places, we try to get to know the pit-master, they can give you some ideas which enhance your cooking experience a bunch, plus they love to talk about their successes, and of course some laughter about the failures.

Like we said, food brings together people, we all like to eat, watching friends eat and enjoy it just makes the cook happy when people enjoy the cooking.

So yes, we cook for a crowd, and for future friends and of course the neighbors too... But most of all we enjoy it and like to eat too...

Well we have a food saver and what does not get devoured we vacuum pack them and when some of the fellow hunters stop by we just put them in the oven for a while and we can serve some to them, however we get our fair share also. One buddy of mine comes over on Thursday/Friday, bunks at the house during deer season because his wife does not like to woke up early in the morning and so we have chicken, chicken wings, chili, hot dogs, pork loin, and other foods which we have cooked previously and meals are taken care of without a long wait times when get back from the woods. We just add potato salad, cole slaw, salad, green beans, asparagus with steaks, baked potato, coconut cream pie, carrot cake, apple pie, with french vanilla ice cream... However we do buy when we find the sales of the various types of meats on sale, so it makes the cost more manageable in stead plunking down all the money at one time. We do cook a little differently than most, we add the seasonings and all to the meats and then vacuum pack them freeze them, and when we decide to crank up the BGE, we cook the meats frozen solid, yes we said frozen, the meat stays so tender because of the frozen process the meat comes out so tender, juicy, and great tasting everyone has their own little different ways of cooking. We do enjoy cooking for flavor, the aroma, the smell of the different woods, spices. Helps sharpen your ability to recognize the different meats cooking also.

When we go to some of our favorite BBQ places, we try to get to know the pit-master, they can give you some ideas which enhance your cooking experience a bunch, plus they love to talk about their successes, and of course some laughter about the failures.

Like we said, food brings together people, we all like to eat, watching friends eat and enjoy it just makes the cook happy when people enjoy the cooking.

So yes, we cook for a crowd, and for future friends and of course the neighbors too... But most of all we enjoy it and like to eat too...
Good Stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom