• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Semi Autos- why don't they get the love and respect they deserve?

If I rember right, on the P89 9mm, in order to break it down for cleaning, you had to lock the slide to the rear, and put you finger in the locked open slide and press on something inside the locked open gun to break it down. It was my friends gun not mine.

A P95 was my first handgun. It shot great and was super reliable. That being said, the trigger wasn't anything special, they are big and heavy for what they are and can't be carried concealed as well as other offerings.

ALL True!...And, there's THIS: The P-85--So-named because it was SUPPOSED to come out in 1985--was actually quite a bit LATE arriving on the scene, and when it DID, it had quite a few "Problems"...Which led to a RECALL, and then THAT led to the "Updated"--and SHORT-LIVED-- P-85 MKII...Which was further "Updated" to become the P-89...

IMHO, while the Ruger P-Series Autos are LARGE for their Capacities and the Cartridges they Chamber, and while they are not very "Refined" as far as Ergonomics, Triggers or Sights go, they generally ARE supremely RELIABLE, at least passably ACCURATE--and sometimes they can be STUNNINGLY Accurate--and they are built like TANKS, being NEARLY "Bulletproof."

I like 'em well enough, having had at least ONE of the P-85, 89, 90, 93, 94 & 95...and I currently have a P-93, P-94--in 9mm only--a P-95 AND a recently-acquired CHERRY P-90--Thanks, Charlie, for THAT one!... :) ....mikey357

Yeah! Whut Mikey said. Ruger was the king of the recall/"two point oh(as in relase 2.0) But on the bright side an empty P89 makes a helluva club!

Maybe it's this :
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

A lot of people think that he supported the clinton AWB ban because it would force a tremendous increase in sales of mini 14's due to their 10 round mags, etc. after the ban was instated. Backstabbing and a low blow to gun supporters at the time.

But nah, I don't know why, just having fun.

^^ This^^ And a lot of us from those days still remember it too.

I have a P85 I bought new when they first came out mainly because of the price. I agree with almost everything said about the P series. But that gun as had 1,000s of rounds through it and been my bedside home defense pistol for years.

But... I also have a new SR40C that is everything the P85 isn't.

The number one reason why they don't cost much used is that they didn't cost much new. Price point is one of their endearing factors. I bought a new P89 in the early 90s for 299...kept it till about a year ago. Sold it for a little more than that with a few extra mags I had accumulated. What more can you ask?

Nothing wrong with them from a functionality standpoint. They just feel a little big and bulky to me personally. I owned several in my 20's but just like with women my tastes changed as i got a little older and figured out what I really liked!

I agree. Just never fit my hand right. Love all of my Rugers.

Back
Top Bottom