• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Semi Autos- why don't they get the love and respect they deserve?

Love my p95 its one ok my "keepers". I pick up every p89 I can find at a reasonable price.They are great to trade on more than resale. People wanting to get in to 9mm without a big investment like them.

Why don't Ruger Semi Auto pistols (i.e. P89, P90), get the love and respect they deserve? Their resale values are horrible compared to other guns I am seeing. I don't want to say used Hi-Point semi auto value, but they are down and dirty. Just curious as to why or am I missing something?

Mine has given me impeccable service and reliability at the range over the years, and never once has failed. And I bought a brand new P89, but that was back in 1992. I think the prices are still the same today. Wish I could say that about a Colt.

I don't like the trigger pulls on these things.

If I remember correctly, they put a "combat" pull on these things. Maybe I got a hold of a bad one or two, but dang-what a pull!!!! Looong and HARD.

(I am sure they are reliable, but that pull makes me nuts-and you can't feel the reset.)

-I would save up for a Glock.

Hogue makes some nice rubber grips with finger groves that really improve the feel of the P series pistols and you can find 30 round mags too.

Last edited:
Maybe it's this :
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

A lot of people think that he supported the clinton AWB ban because it would force a tremendous increase in sales of mini 14's due to their 10 round mags, etc. after the ban was instated. Backstabbing and a low blow to gun supporters at the time.

But nah, I don't know why, just having fun.

^^ This^^ And a lot of us from those days still remember it too.

Don't look NOW, but Bill Ruger--who came up with all that FOOLISHNESS--is STILL DEAD! Or are we gonna' beat THAT "Dead Horse" some more, too???... :( ....mikey357

If you forgive companies for doing things like this, and support them, it opens the door for other companies to do the same thing in the future, without fear of reprisal.

It was his choice, and now his brand gets to deal with the fallout.

Their handguns are certainly reliable, but that's about their only allure. People fall in love with Glock\Sig\HK\Colt\S&W\CZ\FN. Very few kids dream about one day owning a Ruger automatic pistol.

If you forgive companies for doing things like this, and support them, it opens the door for other companies to do the same thing in the future, without fear of reprisal.

It was his choice, and now his brand gets to deal with the fallout.

Their handguns are certainly reliable, but that's about their only allure. People fall in love with Glock\Sig\HK\Colt\S&W\CZ\FN. Very few kids dream about one day owning a Ruger automatic pistol.

Let's see now...Bill Ruger is DEAD, his FAMILY is OUT, it's a PUBLICLY-Owned Company now...Yeah, let's CONTINUE to hold an almost twenty-year-old GRUDGE, and SCREW the Shareholders & Workers--who are building a QUALITY Product, right here in America--Sound about right?!?! Well, if it DOES "Sound Right" to YOU, all I got's to say is:"Why Dontcha' GROW UP, JackAzz?!?!"....mikey357

Last edited:
"People fall in love with Glock"??? You couldn't give me a damn glock. I'll take an American made NON UNION gun any day........and I just about bet if you shot my SR9 you would rethink those remarks.

My SR1911 (that I've been on the waiting list for) just came in to Cherokee and I'll get it within the next week.......if its half the gun my SR9 is, it will also be a keeper!

It wasn't about the mini-14 ... it was because 99% of all of their firearms were revolvers or low capacity and they didn't manufacture anything like an AR15 that would be caught in the ban ... because even the mini-14 traditionally didn't have a threaded barrel or pistol grip so it also didn't fit the ban criteria for the most part .... so it tripped their sales for almost 10 years. Remember... they are a company that has to do right by their shareholders ... that's the thing about being publicly traded ... and supporting something that hurts your competition but not you is just good business sense.

Maybe it's this :
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

A lot of people think that he supported the clinton AWB ban because it would force a tremendous increase in sales of mini 14's due to their 10 round mags, etc. after the ban was instated. Backstabbing and a low blow to gun supporters at the time.

But nah, I don't know why, just having fun.

I've never used many of the P89/P90 type handguns but I absolutely love all of their semi-auto .22s and they are the only revolvers that I buy. I do recall that they had quite alot of safety recalls on some of their semi-auto handguns in the 90s and early 2000s though ... maybe that had something to do with it?

Bought a used one for little bucks and it is almost as acurate as my 1911, more accurate than my Glock or M&P and ate ANY 45 ammo I could put in it. I would say if someone wanted a great home defense gun or range gun that will last forever it fits the bill. They are big and heavy and ugly BUT they work. Always. and you can hit what you aim for.

Back
Top Bottom