• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rural Georgia police state?

Posted by meastt I'm not going to attempt to change anyone's mind. I understand people feel the way they feel and a argument on the internet does nothing.

With that said, how many of you have personally been violated/abused by the police? And I don't mean he was "rude" or you didn't like his/her tone...I mean you were actually violated and/or abused by the police...personally (not your wife/friend/coworker/cousins step brother).

I only say this because I personally don't know anyone who has (despite people who are mad that they didn't talk their way out of a ticket and were not happy about it or the cop was just rude and short).

I am sure that some of you might have had this happen....but the reality is it is safe to say that MOST of you have not. Yet you have "heard" of lots of incidents.....if you keep basing your opinion off Internet forums and youtube videos and third party rumors and your one experience with a grumpy patrolman....you will find what you are looking for.

If I wanted to argue that guns are bad/evil tools and only owned by right wing extremist....I could pull stories from blogs and left wing columns that would support this and I would post countless videos from YouTube showing white guys doing STUPID things with guns.... But, we know that is not the case....

Just make your own informed choice....don't be so quick to judge and jump on bandwagons. As a police officer who treats people with respect and someone who works with many others who do the same, it's sad to see so many good people lumped into the "bad apple" pile with the smaller percentage that actually earn it.
Agreed.

I had with Marietta POPO. HAd a guy hit me while at a stop sign right off the square. He litterally hit me dead center, van to car at my front bumber while turning up the street I was on. Well he was an older Black gentleman and seamed a little timid but very nice and apologetic. We called 911. He and I chatted and after checking car, no damage done. We were about to call it a wash and here he comes.

Well out pops mister macho and he calls to the guy who hit me by his name Coach @@@@@@. He had taught this Cop in school. We both stood there together in front of him and said the same story but said no harm done. He gets licenses and goes to car and takes forever to do his business, gets out and hands me a ticket for stop sign violation and the other guy for registration issue.I argued to no avail, went straight to precinct to complian. Court came and I told story to DA. He talks about the guy who hit me that he knows him also, and proceeds to tell me I`m guilty and said what the fine was. I pleaded not guilty and requested hearing and was given a date.

Went to court, no cop, no coach. I was called at the very end of all others and DA took me privately to back hall and explained that the coach did not want him to procecute me and was free to go. I said since when does a citizen dictate a case. I then had his ear and gave him a few sentences about life and honesty and pretty much told him he had no witnesses and the case is mute. He pretty much did not care and I left. I lost much more money fighting this than the fine was, but it was principle. I had no record for the last 35 years and was not going to take this sitting down.

I have had cops draw guns on me twice.

1) I bought a 1970 Bug to restore. I had to drive it up to the bug shop in Forest Park to get the correct tie-rod so when I got home from work I jumped in it and took off still in my business clothing. I drove it with a Bill of Sale and an insurance card from my other vehicles. I put a Tag Applied For license plate on it. While I was sitting at a redlight in Morrow, in front of the restaurant with the ball-sack for a logo, a city of Morrow officer flashed his lights and siren and motioned for me to pull into the parking lot. It was the middle of August and was 90+ degrees that day. When I stopped he sat in his car behind me for 10 minutes without even looking up. By this time I was sweating like Laufen in church and opened the driver's door, stepped out and leaned on my car. He didn't even look up. As I stood there propped against the car for 5-10 minutes he suddenly jumps out of his car, draws his sidearm and starts yelling "Get on the ground now!!!!!" over and over again. I put my hands up faced him and asked him why he wanted me to get on the ground. He kept yelling incoherent commands. I said 'Sir, I am complying but will not lie down on the hot pavement." He yelled at me to lie face down several more times. I said "I'll keep my hands up and face my car but I am not lying down on steaming hot asphalt in my good clothes. I haven't done anything wrong". I turned toward my car and leaned on it with my chest with hands on the roof. He kept yelling for me to lay face down on the hot asphalt. I refused. He then holstered his gun and ran over to me and began calling me every name in the book and insinuated that my parents were never married. He never cuffed me or touched me. He told me that I was lucky he didn't shoot me. He then put me in the back of his car (not cuffed), told me I had to get my car towed and someone had to come get me at the police station. He also said the tow would be $200.

Everything after that is a blur but somehow I talked him down, convinced him to call his sergeant and showed him "my papers". He called his supervisor then wrote me two tickets and let me drive my car "straight home".

The court experience was just as horrible.

2) I was at Lake Allatoona swimming 10-20' away from our private dock. My son and his friends were playing around in a canoe and trying to tip each other out of it. They were wearing vests. I was not. I dove in and swam over to the canoe where they were and started rocking it back and forth until I dumped them. Then I crawled in and stood up yelling "King of the Canoe". They dumped me in and it continued for another 20 minutes or so.

A DNR boat came by, turned and came over to us. They politely asked us about our day and made small talk. The DNR guy said they were headed up to the Etowah for a while and would be coming back this way in about an hour. He tossed me a vest and said "Do me a favor and keep this close by while you guys are out here. I'll swing by and pick it up on the way back". I thanked him and they sped off. A few hours later we were taking down the tent at the dock and I see them going back toward the dam way off in the distance. We waved them down so they wouldn't forget their vest. They saw us, turned and came over. As their boat pulled up I reached out and they handed me their bow line. I caught their boat and pulled them in to the boat slip. I walked over to the table, grabbed their vest and handed it back to them. They politely thanked me. (So far, so good).

I told them to have a great weekend, turned and walked over to my tent to carry stuff up to the car. He went from "nice guy" to 'Judge Dredd" in a matter of a half second. He yelled at me to turn around and show my hands. I turned and he had his hand on his gun. An elderly man (retired shop lead from Delta) walked over and said "What is this all about officers?" At that point they drew their weapons and started yelling for all of us to get down. We complied and I was given a $550 ticket for being in a boat without a vest.

I went to court for that one and asked to speak to the solicitor a week before. She met with me and agreed that the ticket was stupid but that she couldn't drop it or it would cause a ripple between her office and the DNR. She said that I need to go to court, plead not guilty and she would plead it down to court costs ($50).

I would call both of those abuse of power.

I have had cops draw guns on me twice.

1) I bought a 1970 Bug to restore. I had to drive it up to the bug shop in Forest Park to get the correct tie-rod so when I got home from work I jumped in it and took off still in my business clothing. I drove it with a Bill of Sale and an insurance card from my other vehicles. I put a Tag Applied For license plate on it. While I was sitting at a redlight in Morrow, in front of the restaurant with the ball-sack for a logo, a city of Morrow officer flashed his lights and siren and motioned for me to pull into the parking lot. It was the middle of August and was 90+ degrees that day. When I stopped he sat in his car behind me for 10 minutes without even looking up. By this time I was sweating like Laufen in church and opened the driver's door, stepped out and leaned on my car. He didn't even look up. As I stood there propped against the car for 5-10 minutes he suddenly jumps out of his car, draws his sidearm and starts yelling "Get on the ground now!!!!!" over and over again. I put my hands up faced him and asked him why he wanted me to get on the ground. He kept yelling incoherent commands. I said 'Sir, I am complying but will not lie down on the hot pavement." He yelled at me to lie face down several more times. I said "I'll keep my hands up and face my car but I am not lying down on steaming hot asphalt in my good clothes. I haven't done anything wrong". I turned toward my car and leaned on it with my chest with hands on the roof. He kept yelling for me to lay face down on the hot asphalt. I refused. He then holstered his gun and ran over to me and began calling me every name in the book and insinuated that my parents were never married. He never cuffed me or touched me. He told me that I was lucky he didn't shoot me. He then put me in the back of his car (not cuffed), told me I had to get my car towed and someone had to come get me at the police station. He also said the tow would be $200.

Everything after that is a blur but somehow I talked him down, convinced him to call his sergeant and showed him "my papers". He called his supervisor then wrote me two tickets and let me drive my car "straight home".

The court experience was just as horrible.

2) I was at Lake Allatoona swimming 10-20' away from our private dock. My son and his friends were playing around in a canoe and trying to tip each other out of it. They were wearing vests. I was not. I dove in and swam over to the canoe where they were and started rocking it back and forth until I dumped them. Then I crawled in and stood up yelling "King of the Canoe". They dumped me in and it continued for another 20 minutes or so.

A DNR boat came by, turned and came over to us. They politely asked us about our day and made small talk. The DNR guy said they were headed up to the Etowah for a while and would be coming back this way in about an hour. He tossed me a vest and said "Do me a favor and keep this close by while you guys are out here. I'll swing by and pick it up on the way back". I thanked him and they sped off. A few hours later we were taking down the tent at the dock and I see them going back toward the dam way off in the distance. We waved them down so they wouldn't forget their vest. They saw us, turned and came over. As their boat pulled up I reached out and they handed me their bow line. I caught their boat and pulled them in to the boat slip. I walked over to the table, grabbed their vest and handed it back to them. They politely thanked me. (So far, so good).

I told them to have a great weekend, turned and walked over to my tent to carry stuff up to the car. He went from "nice guy" to 'Judge Dredd" in a matter of a half second. He yelled at me to turn around and show my hands. I turned and he had his hand on his gun. An elderly man (retired shop lead from Delta) walked over and said "What is this all about officers?" At that point they drew their weapons and started yelling for all of us to get down. We complied and I was given a $550 ticket for being in a boat without a vest.

I went to court for that one and asked to speak to the solicitor a week before. She met with me and agreed that the ticket was stupid but that she couldn't drop it or it would cause a ripple between her office and the DNR. She said that I need to go to court, plead not guilty and she would plead it down to court costs ($50).

I would call both of those abuse of power.

Both instances were for your own good. What are you a sovereign citizen or something?

You've got some nerve.

Why is this in "The Pasture"?

I posted a factual true account of a local story that happened to people that I personally know and it gets lumped in with the price rant threads and ammo flipping. Ken, is this your way of defending the police without getting into a discussion about it? :)

An "admin" did the same thing to my current factual news article (so called cop bashing). The news reporting wrong doing by cops. They simply don't want to know about "bad apples". Move along.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/631750-1-bad-apple-in-NJ-wait-2-bad-apples-no-wait-3-bad-apples

Check out post 38 and 46. He has yet to show me which of my posts was not factual.

Last edited:
Had an idiot LEO fresh out of school walk over to my Jeep and start looking all over. My ride was sharp and I didn't realize he was scoping for a reason to go all stupid on me. He notices my 1911 between the seats and asked me if he could see it. This was early 80's and the libs had just pushed an attempt to make pistol capacity to 6 or less. It was a small town and I knew everyone and had never been in trouble. Because of the small town atmosphere, I absolutely agreed and told him it was cocked and locked. He proceeds to unload it and after telling me how nice a pistol I had, tells me that he will probably have to confiscate it because of the high capacity! I politely told the jack leg that while he was at the academy, the proposed bill was drummed out of the legislature and asked if he would please return my pistol back to its original place. He then refused and said I could take it up with the Chief. It was at that point that it could have went really wrong. We were at an old Standard Oil gas station and the owner along with 4 or 5 others had been listening to this encounter. I was 20 and pretty brash, so I promptly told the cop that I bet I could take my pistol from him. He went all mouthy and I was about to whip him like a mule when the owner came out with ol' number 12 and asked the idiot if he wanted to be buried in his uniform or not. LEO then eased off and laughed and said he was only giving us a hard time, trying to save face (and his butt). Owner then placed his arm around this kid and walked him over to the Jeep so he could put my pistol back. True story and an early education on cop mentality. In fact, I think he was the first officer I ever saw with a "military" haircut in my little town. Now they all think they're Sgt. Rock!

Had an idiot LEO fresh out of school walk over to my Jeep and start looking all over. My ride was sharp and I didn't realize he was scoping for a reason to go all stupid on me. He notices my 1911 between the seats and asked me if he could see it. This was early 80's and the libs had just pushed an attempt to make pistol capacity to 6 or less. It was a small town and I knew everyone and had never been in trouble. Because of the small town atmosphere, I absolutely agreed and told him it was cocked and locked. He proceeds to unload it and after telling me how nice a pistol I had, tells me that he will probably have to confiscate it because of the high capacity! I politely told the jack leg that while he was at the academy, the proposed bill was drummed out of the legislature and asked if he would please return my pistol back to its original place. He then refused and said I could take it up with the Chief. It was at that point that it could have went really wrong. We were at an old Standard Oil gas station and the owner along with 4 or 5 others had been listening to this encounter. I was 20 and pretty brash, so I promptly told the cop that I bet I could take my pistol from him. He went all mouthy and I was about to whip him like a mule when the owner came out with ol' number 12 and asked the idiot if he wanted to be buried in his uniform or not. LEO then eased off and laughed and said he was only giving us a hard time, trying to save face (and his butt). Owner then placed his arm around this kid and walked him over to the Jeep so he could put my pistol back. True story and an early education on cop mentality. In fact, I think he was the first officer I ever saw with a "military" haircut in my little town. Now they all think they're Sgt. Rock!
i hope that set him straight after that. crazy stuff lol

so I guess this got too many hits and was clogging up the server? Now I have one more place to check for relevant info I might otherwise not hear about.

Back
Top Bottom