• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rust Bluing Steel

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Rust bluing with Pilkington's (Other solutions are available, read the instructions for the product, give them a try)

Three things to remember about rust bluing....all of paramount importance.

1. This is not beyond your ability.

2. You can do this.

3. See one and two over and over till ya believe it.

Rust blue is the exact same finish as caustic blue. Both are Black Ferroferric oxide. Two paths to the same finish. Rust blue is a bit more durable since all loose oxides are scrubbed away in the bluing process. Rust bluing is less messy, less dangerous to you due to chemical hazards, and allows lots of time to stop, start, change directions, work on other projects, etc.

Rust blue is a bit difficult to manage inside actions and on revolvers. But it is possible to achieve absolutely lovely and durable work even on such complex shapes.

Rust blue will produce a lovely color on the difficult to color Win 94. Softer steels come up lovely dark black. Harder alloys will come up a lovely satiny grey black with more black than grey. Sometimes getting those strong modern alloys to rust can try your patience....but I've found 70 to 90 degrees and at about 70 to 80 percent humidity will rust all but stainless steel, brass and aluminum! No Winchester has ever come out anything but lovely with this process.

Cold blue is not bluing...as it is not rust. Cold blue is a layer of copper atoms laid down on the steel and subsequently oxidized black by acids in the bluing solution. The after rust comes from the acids that remain on the steel if you don't clean and oil well afterward.....there just ain't much copper laid down and the steel can rust right thru that thin/weak black color.

Rust blue and hot caustic blue are rust....Red ferric oxide that has been converted to black ferroferric oxide. It is part of the steel....not a plating stained black.

Polishing Metal, Do it by hand, use sand paper. The buffing wheel is an experts best friend....mostly its your worst enemy leading to dished screw holes, wavy lines and lost markings. The buffing wheel is the reason marketers convinced you to pay extra for a melted 1911....sloppy/ugly work and now you believe your gun is the baddestslickestbestest in the world and really, its simply a very crappily done polishing job. Keep straight lines straight and curved lines graceful, take your time and learn to polish with sandpaper.

Someone asked, "If the processes produce the same oxide, why is one satin and one capable of gloss?"

- Good question. Rust bluing is room temperature. Caustic bluing starts in a super saturated solution that is barely boiling at 250 degrees and is brought up to a furious boil often as high as 280 to 300 degrees. Rust bluing relies on the open pores created by a more coarse finishing process to allow penetration of the chemical agents while caustic hot blue opens the pores by heating to allow penetration. Polish too fine and your rust bluing chemical will puddle on the surface and never develop a deep and tenacious bloom of oxide.

How much grit to polish with. Not more than 220g. More and you simply puddle the chemicals on the surface not getting the penetration that causes good rust. A bead blast, light, hides lots of pits and creates a wonderful matt surface that also holds gobbs of oil for protection. If you insist on polishing metal to 8million grit, be prepared for a lovely satin rust blue finish (if you can get the rust to build).....save the master finish for caustic bluing...the heat of that process will let you turn your weapon into a black mirror, rust bluing won't.

Is it slow or does it just look that way. When you consider the polishing process is about equal when done by hand, the actual rusting (Whether hot caustic rust or slow rust) of the metal is 4 to 6 hours of work with either process

- With caustic bluing, you have to warm at least two tanks, water/detergent for a cleaning boil and the caustic solution. You boil clean, rinse and boil clean again and rinse again, then boil to black in the caustics and then rinse and then dip in oil overnight to soak and rest. All of this eats up the better part of a full day.

- With slow rust blue you have about the same amount of work time spread over a week or so. Plenty of time to work elsewhere while the process unfolds. I suppose, the rub out between boiling's ads a bit of extra work but overall, this process is not equipment intensive nor is it chemical intensive. Who can afford nearly $2K for a top notch caustic blue set up and the attendant hazmat charges and disposal fees. Its a trade off but slow rust is suited to the home shop and can be folded up and stored on a shelf when not used rather than taking up an entire room forever.

Should I Plug the Bore.

- I've never met anybody that plugs a bore with a caustic blue. Even the Factory guns I've seen new had bluing in the bores. I understand it for parker but was never taught it as a necessity for any other process. Experience and mentoring leads me to believe it unnecessary and more of a hazard, blown plugs in a 285 degree caustic bluing room is too dangerous. The match barrels on my rollers, sharps and highwall didn't seem to mind not being plugged, nor the shaw barrels on the mausers.

- With the rust bluing process I don't note any darkening of the bore since the boiling is in water, no caustics and the heat dries it so fast inside, I can't find any reason to be concerned.

- I clean them good, whether caustic or rust blue but that's pretty much normal for me prior to final assembly. Both process make the guts a bit gunkey.

- I suppose plugging for other than park comes down to preference. If I recall, the Brownells instructions for Oxinate 7 caustic hot blue indicates no need to plug the bore. The mention using wood plugs with dicropan rust blue but as handles and not to completly plug the bore for this process either.

- No, the process does not hurt the bore. You did not put any chemical in the bore and it dries so quick after the boil that there is only the slightest rust inside. Remember, when your gun is caustic blued, the bore is open and every square inch of the inside is rusted black. There is no harm done by either process....so stop worrying and start rusting your gun to its new look.

Equipment discussion - as depicted in the thread/simple and as seen by another member of this board, toolboxes can be converted to rusting boxes and boiling tanks. Use your imagination. Some folks have even used PVC pipe to make steam boxes for both rusting the metal and for "Boiling" it in steam later, eliminating the need for a large iron tank to boil barreled actions.

Instructions

- For the most part I follow the instructions on the Pilkington's bottle. A somewhat wet first coat, followed by a dry coat then more dry coats and rust and boils. If there is one thing I am religious about, I never touch the clean or rusty steel with my bare hands, fingerprints will show thru to the end and must be sanded off. As for the admonition to degrease the steel wool you use for carding.......I have not degreased/deoiled my steel wool for over 15 years and hundreds of rust blue jobs. Your mileage may vary but modern steel wool seems protected from rusting by something other than gobbs of oil in the weave and I'm not finding any detrimental effects on the rust blue process.

Topical Areas:

Rust in the Garage - Marlin 336 with the Southern Garage as the Damp Box

Rust in the Bath Tub - TC Barrel with a Tub of warm water as the Damp Box

Rust in a Cardboard Box - TC Parts in a box with a cup of hot water and a cardboard Damp Box

More rust in a Cardboard box - S&W 469 also with a cup of hot water in a cardboard Damp Box

Last edited:
Rust in the Garage

Let me suggest that you think twice about carving your SSN into any object and please allow me to suggest that a nice gun receiver is no fracking place for a vibroengraver or an unskilled hand with a knife or gravers point for any reason. None at all. If you absolutly have to have your ssn or other identifying data on your gun, put it on a slip of paper under the recoil pad or grip cap and keep it a secret...no one ever looks there unless ya tell the Detective to.

With that all said, thank the gun gods the SSN carved with a knife point into the left receiver wall of this Marlin was not too deep and can be draw filed and polished pretty much all the way out.

The SSN on this gun went from front to back...thank heavens he/she didn't carve I Heart Mary or some other nonsense with more than 9 letters/numbers. Here I've draw polished the front half, 100 grit backed on a stiff file, several hundreds of strokes to remove 99%+ of the first 5 numbers.

i.imgur.com_rSmO9.jpg

I switch back and forth between 100 and 220 grits to ensure I have remove most or all of the offending carvings. Here it is with a 220g kiss on the action to double check...really fine carved lines (i.e. the last little bit) will get lost in the 100g sanding marks so it takes a finer sanding to see if they are really gone.

i.imgur.com_MiOgo.jpg

Haveing draw polished the back half to remove the final 4 numbers of this particular dingdong carving...

i.imgur.com_zi4Lv.jpg

A kiss of the action with 220g looks pretty good. A few spots where the last traces of a number peek thru but they will come out or become totally lost in the final polish for rust blueing which will be a 150g finish for a nice satin glow and to hold lots of oil on the surface of this soon to be hard working rifle.

i.imgur.com_IdbaS.jpg

Last edited:
Rust in the Garage

What was black and a bit of brown and a few scratches and inappropriate carvings is now becoming smooth and silver. Soon it'll be rusty red brown and then velvety satin black again.

Back to the home made flap wheel. Best for inner curved surfaces and outer tight curves. Barrels and flats I do by hand but there is no better way I know of to quickly clean up a lever than a bit of 100g aluminum oxide on a stick in a drill press at moderate rpm. A light kiss, just get the blue and rust off, clean up any pitting. If you're thinking such a primitave tool can damage a part, go try a Gunsmith Grade buffing wheel with fine compound and see how quick it gouges out hunks of metal. You wonder why a polish and hot blue is so expensive? It takes years to master the buffing wheel, you pay for the skill and I have deepest respect for smiths that know the buffing wheel as a powerful but dangerous friend.

This is a slower, gentler process, so is hand polishing but remember, stay off the critical areas like the width of the lever screw boss, the trigger disconnect plate, the nose of the lever. Strip these by hand with fine sand paper or use a commercial rust and blue remover. They are sized and hardened properly as is an there is no call to change dimensions in critical areas, changing dimensions = accelerated decrepitude, you actually wear out the part without useing it.

Final polish before blueing will be gently, by hand useing 150 to 220 grit aluminum oxide paper. Nothing finer is recommended for rust blueing. The chemicals create a satin finish and going to 800+ like some folks feel is necessary simply gets deglossed in the formation of Ferroferric (black) iron oxide. The oxide is the same as formed in hot blueing, rust blueing is just a different process that does not lend itself to a "Master Shine" as does hot caustic blueing.

i.imgur.com_hWX6l.jpg

The lever, struck on the flap wheel. Smooth and awaiting only final strikeing by hand. I'll hand strike all the small parts at once when I am ready for the 3 to 6 days of work it will take to develope the rust blue finish on them.

i.imgur.com_reAjZ.jpg

i.imgur.com_ynvTK.jpg

Rust in the Garage

The major components lined up for initial striking by hand. This one is in pretty good shape, just worn blueing, not much pitting and the SSN is GONE. So, a consistent finish to the metal by hand to prevent loss of required markings and no dished out screw holes.

A few hours hand work and I should be back with photos of the first cycle blooming up a layer of red rust and its conversion to black feroferric oxide....from silver to red to grey to red to black. With luck and a bit of humidity (the garage will be our Damp Box for this project) 5 to 8 cycles should see this Marauderesk project nearing completion and ready for its time on the range and the woods.

i.imgur.com_VfLPX.jpg

Flat surfaces stay flat....back the paper with a stiff tool like a block or a file or a round in the tight spots. Keeps one from dishing out screw holes and slots as with a power buffer.

i.imgur.com_bFWn7.jpg

And completly struck. A few 1/4 sheets of 120g aluminum oxide. Change the paper often, dull paper dosn't cut as aggressively and I save the dull sheets for a final pass, full length on all surfaces to blend everything in. 120 to 180g produces a finish that allows the chemicals to penetrate forming black oxide, holds oil or grease for longer periods and helps hide any of the little imperfections that accumulated over the years but are too deep to remove without loosing critical markings (like the SN and the JM barrel stamp indicating this is a real Marlin, not a MarlRem) and it is the right grit for a satin hunters finish, matching the stocks already finished.

i.imgur.com_hVN7n.jpg

Off now to hang the parts, warm and humid and start the first 1 and 3 hour cycles of rust and then a first boil this evening for what should be a medium grey first bite.

Rust in the Garage

Basic supplies to build up the Rust black finish. Now begins a cycle I've seen called, Marlin Soup. Coat, rust, boil, card, start over. 6 to eight cycles.

i.imgur.com_JfMgA.jpg

Hang the parts on hangers for easy handling. From here on out, no oil, grease, wax, skin oil, etc. Parts handled with clean towels and clean freshly scrubbed hands. Fingerprints now will transfer into the final finish. Although much of the flaws and polishing marks will blend in, strangely enough, fingerprints will be perfectly preserved thru every cycle to the final finish. The only option is full strip and redo.

i.imgur.com_6fDqG.jpg

First coat is wet. Any nicks in your fingers, you'll feel the burn as a light sting sort of like a kiss of nettles on your ankle as you walk thru the grass. This wet coat establishes penetration of the pores and begins very rapidly (in a hot humid damp box) a very fine and deeply bonded layer of oxide. Fine grain and bonded is what makes rust blue somewhat more durable and long lived than caustic hot tank blueing. Remember, rust bluing chemicals are a rust maker and a fine rust remover. Every coat after this is nearly dry, so dry that the "sauce" evaporates very quickly after its applied. Wipe in one direction....wipe back over and you pull the prevously created rust from the surface, sorta scrubbing it off before it can bite. One hour this sits and rusts and then a fine dry coat with a 3 hour soak, then a good boil in clean water to convert red ferric oxide to black ferroferric oxide.

Here, rust is developing in minutes only.

i.imgur.com_Br1bX.jpg

i.imgur.com_yRDyF.jpg

i.imgur.com_7nFq9.jpg

Rust in the Garage

Slow rust blueing is slow. About as slow as a Costa Rican gun safe near the sea shore with an unplugged Golden Rod. The results take about 3 to 10 days to materialize but the ultimate result is much finer.

Here, barely over 1 hour with the first very wet coat of Pilkingtons...A fine bloom of rust. Fine grained, fairly even and not too many fingerprints! There is no carding (rub out w/0000 steel wool to remove unbonded oxides) at this point. A second, very thin, nearly dry, coat of Pilkingtons is applied to the steel. It should dry completly in a few seconds. Wipe in one direction, cover every part fully. Handle every part with clean dry rags or paper towels....no oil or wax allowed. It looks splotchy, it is. It will even up all but the oily spots. We'll know after the first boil if a strip and restart is in order.

From here on out the process is: Boil the red rusted part. Force it dry with a hot air gun, water makes spots. Rub it out gently with degreased 0000 steel wool. Thinly, thinly coat the parts with Pilkingtons and hang it warm and humid for 3 to 12 hours. (Longer and intermediate coatings may be needed to rust some alloy steels like Win 94 receivers, marlin sights and levers, etc.) Once its boiled, you can even hang it and come back another day since boiling converts the red oxide to black and kills the solution.

As you can see, some alloys resist rusting quite a bit.

i.imgur.com_W9y3Z.jpg

Mag tubes are difficult to handle and difficult to rust. On Marlins, the forming process seems to leave hard and soft spots in a corkscrew pattern. It can be difficult to have a final finish that dosn't show the cork screw or a few very light spots. These spots are a bit greyer but disappear under the final coat of oil. With rust blue, when it starts to turn a hint of grey, its telling you it's time to oil or grease or wax the metal, the protective oil has evaporated. But, either dry or oiled, its a beautiful satin finish.

i.imgur.com_gnCu2.jpg

Hardest part of the barreled action is the left side panel. Smooth even strokes with the Pilkingtons helps keep streaks from forming as you go. Much of the streaking is buffed back and blended with the 0000 wool rub out...but careful prep means better finish and less work overall. Are you getting the theme? Much of the refinishing of a gun is all about how well and diligent you are with the rubbing and rubbing and rubbing.

i.imgur.com_OKrEo.jpg

Only 30 minutes into a second 2 hour stint where the solution is allowed to bite the steel. A fairly even bloom is rising on the metal and its so hot and humid even a kiss of ferroferric oxide is blackening up in the finish befor the first boil.

i.imgur.com_r09CS.jpg

Everything you own can be multipurpose. For example, the turkey fryer can be adapted to a rust blueing tank for making Marlin Soup. Only specialized piece of equipment for blueing barrels and actions is a black iron tank large enough to do the job. (Iron only, other metals can interfear with the conversion from red to black oxide).

Tacos for dinner and Marlin for dessert.....See ya again later tonight with the first hints of black on this good American steel.

i.imgur.com_IfvYf.jpg

First of the black oxide on the first boil...only a little at a time. Good rust blue comes up slowely.

Small parts ready for first boil in an iron pan on the stove. Double filtered water from the drinking tap to make sure there is no mineral streaks or spots.

i.imgur.com_kstDd.jpg

Fire is lit under the big boiling tank and the water is fast approaching a boil....big parts submerged to bring them up to hot too.

i.imgur.com_fIevA.jpg

After the first boil the small parts have a rather nice layer of black, lots of fluff on there. I want the oxide that is bonded tight so anything that resists a hard scrubbing with 0000 steel wool stays, everything else is disposed of. (remember, no grease or oil, handle with clean hands and use clean towels to keep fingers off the metal finish for now)

i.imgur.com_mjM4N.jpg

Meanwhile, the big tank has been at a vigorous rolling boil for 10 or so minutes...time to pull the parts one at a time, starting with the lever and the trigger group....force dry all the metal parts with a heat gun, push the water out of the holes and slots and crannies, hang them up to cool.

i.imgur.com_UiAJv.jpg

A different alloy than the small parts, first layer is more gun metal grey. It'll be thinner too after the unwanted fluff is scrubbed off. After this scrubbing the base metal will show thru...no worries, it darkens with each pass and the scrubbing ensures only the permanent color remains in place.

i.imgur.com_SRjDu.jpg

The action and barrel, pretty even and also a nice shade of grey. A bit lighter in the photos due to the flash. Overall I'm happy with this first pass on the action and barrel.

i.imgur.com_Br0aJ.jpg

Scrubbing off the unbonded oxides on the magazine tube. These tubes fight being blued. But it'll come out okay in the end.

i.imgur.com_su4KU.jpg

As you see, knocking back the receiver and barrel. A good first pass. Pretty even, no finger prints and just a bit darker than the photos show. Rust blueing is slightly faster in the summer....the metal is never this dark, first pass with a cool/dry winter rust blue...even with a damp box.

i.imgur.com_SVjB9.jpg

I cleaned them all up, coated again with a thin coat of Pilkingtons and I'll let them hang untill boiling them again on Monday evening. Sometimes I go 2 times per day, but, gotta work this week so, I'll kiss it again with rust blueing solution in the morning and let the days heat and humidity work on the finish for me.

Rust in the garage

A quick check before bed and the second bloom is comeing up a bit slower but very fine and even.

i.imgur.com_iqkUq.jpg

i.imgur.com_WVUGC.jpg

An addition thin wipe with Pilkingtons to work the night thru...another in the morning then second boil and carding tomorrow night.

i.imgur.com_2LtID.jpg

515 AM Monday and a quick check. The overnight bloom built well. Another very light wipedown with pilkingtons and it'll work untill at least 6 pm this evening when once again, Marlin Soup. We should see a bit more color this evening. Untill then, remember, paint is for fence posts.

i.imgur.com_b7QUr.jpg

i.imgur.com_8NLfJ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom