• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savannah PD looking to make the move to optics mounted pistols

Haha! That’s probably not even the worst thing written about Andrew/ Clyde Armory this month.
IMO, and I’m not Glock fanboy but the worst decision being made in this whole thing is trading Glocks for M&P’s. Haha!

I recall a LE study that 90% of "gunfights" followed the 3 to 5 rule, 3 to 5 shots in 3 to 5 seconds at 3 to 5 feet, why do you need optics?
Well I’ve debriefed guys in OIS and their circumstances did not always fit your 90% rule.
What’s your profession? Maybe I can pass on some expert advice….

I use no optics that require a battery. Not for hunting or defense. That`s one more thing that can fail. There is most likely coming a time when you can`t get batteries. I don`t depend on having electricity for anything in the future. A generator might get me by long enough to eat up perishable food.

Well I’ve debriefed guys in OIS and their circumstances did not always fit your 90% rule.
What’s your profession? Maybe I can pass on some expert advice….
I was a Georgia Parole Officer for 10 years, we spent a lot of time down in Forsyth at the Public Safety Training Center. Had endless glasses about studies on gun fights, use of force etc. My point is in todays anti LE climate, a justified shooting of a felonious thug by a LEO at more than ten feet now is usually considered murder by the uneducated public. I am not against optics, good gun control is hitting your target with what ever you have.

I was a Georgia Parole Officer for 10 years, we spent a lot of time down in Forsyth at the Public Safety Training Center. Had endless glasses about studies on gun fights, use of force etc. My point is in todays anti LE climate, a justified shooting of a felonious thug by a LEO at more than ten feet now is usually considered murder by the uneducated public. I am not against optics, good gun control is hitting your target with what ever you have.
You’re the one that asked why do they need optics.
You quote about the uneducated public’s view like their perception should decide how to equip officers, or it appears that way and you choose the wrong words.
Also if the majority of shootings take place at such close ranges why have Patrol Rifles with optics become standard gear.
I’ve been an active firearms instructor/officer survival training/SWAT for over a couple decades and am still at it.
I’ve attended a lot of classes at GPSTC and was not generally impressed. I was fortunate to be able to travel and train at The LETC in Provo,Thunder Ranch, and with quite a few professionals at who are trigger pullers, not bean counters.
I realize my comment here on ODT will not be popular with a lot of the anti-LE here on the ODT.

Cops don't need semi autos that hold 15+ rounds if they would just train properly and learn to use their revolvers like our grandparents did.

Cops shouldn't have optics on their guns because that's just a crutch for people who are too lazy to put in the time to learn marksmanship with a Patridge sight.

And cops shouldn't get these automatic transmissions in their patrol cars, because that's just a crutch for people who are too lazy to properly learn how to operate a four-speed manual tranny.

Cops don't need semi autos that hold 15+ rounds if they would just train properly and learn to use their revolvers like our grandparents did.

Cops shouldn't have optics on their guns because that's just a crutch for people who are too lazy to put in the time to learn marksmanship with a Patridge sight.

And cops shouldn't get these automatic transmissions in their patrol cars, because that's just a crutch for people who are too lazy to properly learn how to operate a four-speed manual tranny.

Take away the power steering and that would cripple some departments! :rofl:

You’re the one that asked why do they need optics.
You quote about the uneducated public’s view like their perception should decide how to equip officers, or it appears that way and you choose the wrong words.
Also if the majority of shootings take place at such close ranges why have Patrol Rifles with optics become standard gear.
I’ve been an active firearms instructor/officer survival training/SWAT for over a couple decades and am still at it.
I’ve attended a lot of classes at GPSTC and was not generally impressed. I was fortunate to be able to travel and train at The LETC in Provo,Thunder Ranch, and with quite a few professionals at who are trigger pullers, not bean counters.
I realize my comment here on ODT will not be popular with a lot of the anti-LE here on the ODT.
Don't worry about an unpopular comment on this or any other forum, this is a great country we live in and are free to express our opinions as we see it. Thanks to the ODT we firearms enthusiast can rant all day about the pros and cons of the above subject. Thanks for sharing.

And air conditioning in the cars or offices. That’s what windows are there for….🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom