• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR Question

ocean_glocker

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
140   0
Reaction score
I did search (a little) before posting this.

My question: When submitting your paper work for an SBR do you have to have the Lower 'in hand'?

My reason, I'm planning on getting in on the next round of ODT AR15 lowers.So I figured while waiting for them to come in, why not use that time to have a stamp also waiting on it. I'll know the make, model and serial number of my ODT lower...

So can I kill 2 time birds with one stone?

yep, you'll need the serial number.

Which I suppose you could get before its made/delivered, but you're taking a risk if for some reason you cant get that exact one or the numbers change.

yep, you'll need the serial number.

Which I suppose you could get before its made/delivered, but you're taking a risk if for some reason you cant get that exact one or the numbers change.

Would it matter if the ATF doesn't have the serial number for the lower yet?

That's not how they do it, they don't confirm if the serial number actually exists. In fact you can SBR a homemade 80% style lower and create your own serial number for it when registering.

OK, I wasn't sure if it was like a suppressor where the number is registered by the original manufacturer prior to transfer to the dealer. Thanks!

^^^ Title I serial numbers aren't "registered" (that we know of). The MFR just has a quarterly report for how many they made. The only places the serial numbers are stored are in the bound books of the mfr, distributor, and dealer(s). Not at the ATF, and not at the NFA Branch. When you submit a form 1, they are creating a new item in the NFRTR database. From then on, the serial number would show up, but not before.

OP, I've never pondered your question before. I am going to let you decide what to do by assuming 2 things here. 1 - If things go smoothly, and you get your correct serial number, no one would know or care. It will probably still not even be pending at the rate they are going now. 2 - If you call, and play the ATF phone tree game long enough, and ask the question, you will be told NO, you can't register it if you don't own it yet.

Back
Top Bottom