• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scale Choices

kf4zht

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
85   0
Reaction score
Getting everything together to load again and ran up on the issue of scales. Previously I had a RCBS 505 for loading rifle and a crappy digital scale (that I had to convert from Grams to Grains).

I will be mostly loading bulk pistol and shotgun, but plan on adding rifle in the probably distant future. Keeping in mind that I am trying to save budget for reloading components, would you go with a basic but well reviewed digital scale like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...50-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity
Or go ahead and jump to the RCBS 505 or similar?

Mostly for now I will be using it to check powder throws, bullet weights and final spot QAs. Not sure what way makes the most sense.

Mechanical/beam type scale for reliability, longevity, and accuracy.

An inexpensive electronic is handy for weighing unknowns, bullets etc, but they're too temperature and environmentaly electrical interference etc, for me to trust and rely on for precision work. You can add a $69.00 one down the road a piece.

Gempro 250 jewlers scale, not temp sensitive within reason and you will never need to upgrade. Can be recalibrated/checked with supplied weight if you ever have a question. Can be had for about $120 to $130. No waiting on a beam to settle.

I've had two reloading scales &#8230;. the RCBS 505 scale and a Lyman scale. The RCBS scale was tons better than the Lyman. It would take a lot of persuasion for me to give up my RBCS 505.

Back
Top Bottom