• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Scale problem

ConRon

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
15   0
Reaction score
I am having what I think to be a problem. I have a dillon beam scale that I was planning on using to measure my powder and I also have an inexpensive digital scale that I use from time to time. MY problem is whe I cross check the two I get a different weight. Example; when I put a 55 grain bullet on the digital it weighs 55.2 gn. Then I move it to the dillon beam and it weighs 54.8. Not that big of a difference for the bullet but I assume that's a big difference for powder. I dont have scale weights so I used a nickle. It supposed to be 77.16... Grains. On my digi it comes in at 77.2 which is right so it tells me my beam is off when it comes in at 76.9 My experince with beams is you can always make them right unless they are tortured. These look great. Any ideas? Anyone know where I can grab some weights in grains? I don't want to start reloading until I am 100% sure my powder is right. I love my guns and don't want to see them explode. I am new to this reloading so I won't even start until I know. Safe over sorry. Thanks y'all for your help

That's not big difference too me at that end of the spectrum. But a known accurate weight will help you discriminate or if possible tweak your zero a tick to be as accurate as possible. My scale comes with such a weight.

The lab scales I used in school were enclosed (dust breeze free) and weights were stored in a container, not to be touched (skin oil adds weight) and picked up with clean forceps. You might be able to pick some scaled weights up off Amazon.

You really need some test weights.

I got mine from Lyman. Really opened my eyes to what a complete piece of crap my digital scale is.

(Also, the beam scale might need calibrating.) I like to be as precise as possible as well. My digital scale is regularly off up to 1.5 grains. I don't even turn it on anymore. It just pisses me off.

So suppose to weight everything by grains, not grams right? If grains, how would you calibrate for that?

You really need some test weights.

I got mine from Lyman. Really opened my eyes to what a complete piece of crap my digital scale is.

(Also, the beam scale might need calibrating.) I like to be as precise as possible as well. My digital scale is regularly off up to 1.5 grains. I don't even turn it on anymore. It just pisses me off.

what brand is your digital scale? I was thinking of buying a Hornady.

what brand is your digital scale? I was thinking of buying a Hornady.

Don't do that!

I have the one which came with my kit-and it is 100% crap! Worst electronic POS I have ever owned!!

I am pleased with the quality of the other stuff in the kit, but that scale is junk. I settled on the RCBS 550 beam scale-and it works great! No troubles at all with it.

(I have heard bad things about all the cheaper digital scales. They really aren't up to reloading accuracy.)

The way I see it is the problem with the cheap digital scales is they are for drugs which are weighed in grams and doesn't matter if off a tiny bit. A little of a gram is a lot of grain

The way I see it is the problem with the cheap digital scales is they are for drugs which are weighed in grams and doesn't matter if off a tiny bit. A little of a gram is a lot of grain

Sawot??? I've had great luck with my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo. It dispenses medical marijuana too!

the only "cheap" and dependable digital scale is a gempro250. beyond that....they are crap if your trying to be precise until you get into the high end force restoration units and thats a whole different animal.

there is a guy named scott parker that tunes mechanical scales to be very accurate.

there will be some people that say weighing to that degree is unnecessary and for those people they are prob. right

Back
Top Bottom