• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on deer feeders , whats a good value as well as cameras same question

A cheap, effective feeder is about 4' of 3" plastic plumbing pipe and a cap. Screw or strap it to a tree and fill with corn. Adjust bottom so some corn comes out, but not a lot at once. Put cap on to keep rain out. Spray paint it to match the tree so as not to advertise that it is there (deer will find it).

For 20 bucks you can put a wad or these up, they work great.

Tube feeder: 4" thin walled pvc a threaded cap joint for refilling & a cap with a 2" hole in it or a sweep 90 for gravity to take over.
Strapping material or ratchet straps for mounting in min a tree & camo spray paint.
You can make 2 out of a 10' stick for $30 in pvc cost.

Bucket feeder: 5 gallon bucket & lid with a hole in the bottom & rope to rum it over a limb & hang it. $5 a piece.

I tried the covered trough but they cost me more in the long run in corn & feed. The above feeders limit the bottom feeders.

As far as cameras, spending more money is usually worth it. I bought a few of the Primos Bullet Proof cameras because they were on sale. You get what you pay for. You have to take the cards to your Oc to program the date & time when most others you can do on the camera.

Trail cams using AA batteries, not C's.

Commercial feeders need a varmint cage and you should spring for a solar panel, even if you have to get the add on.
Academy has a good selection and the add ons.

Also look into the screw in tree brackets for your cameras.

If you have an unlimited corn budget and love feeding critters and not deer, go the PVC route. These are cheap but won't pattern deer like a commercial feeder with digital timers.

pvc gravity deer feeders Quotes.jpg

Moultrie 30 gallon feeders were $69 end of season at Walmart several years back. I bought 4. They have 3 spots on the lid for cameras.
Moultrie AA camera (A5s?) can be had for less than $50 each on sale. I have mine take 10 sec vids and the batteries last for about 9 months (I get about 200 vids a month on each cam).
Spend the extra $20 for the solar panel for the feeder. I have yet to have the feeder battery die. I'm feeding about 80 lbs of feed a month.
I feed from Jan thru August. I have all 3 cams mounted on the feeder during that time so I can see what I'm feeding. When the season rolls around I take the cams off the feeder and move them to watch several trails near my stand.
My 2 cents. Buy quality equipment on sale or at end of season. I blew through Wildgame Innovation cameras about every 6 months and went broke buying C batteries. Same for their feeders. Stealth cams were a little better, but not alot. I've never had much luck with the "homemade" feeders. Coons just sit on the lip and empty them out in a few nights.

Thanks guys I am "trying" to buy a piece of property since I am close to a deal I am starting to get excited about spending some time in the woods again.

I grew up hunting (dad started carrying me when I was 5). Sadly its been 19 years since I had any serious hunting time.

Back
Top Bottom