• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scope and cheek riser suggestions

TacticalMountaineer

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
103   0
Reaction score
Need some opinions on a decent scope for an M1A. Just recreational shooter looking to hit some steel targets or paper no more then 400-500 yards. If I can even hit anything at that distance. Nothing fancy. Been looking at nikons 308 model 4-12.

Also need some ideas for a good cheek riser

I just got this cheek pad/riser for my Swiss 1896/11 scope project. It comes with an additional pad if you need it to be thicker, which I did because the scope is offset.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084GS2WA/ref=twister_B0084GS1QM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought this scope to go with my budget build.

https://jet.com/product/detail/17bf...2&code=PLA15&gclid=COTi3ve06tECFVA9gQodWmgDRg

Never bought from Jet, though. Just a link I found.

Mueller has a limited lifetime warranty but I hope I don't have to use it.

IMG_5200.PNG
I also usually only shoot my M1A out to 400 yards, and rarely 600.
Never farther, and I've owned it 30 years.

When it wears a scope, I use a leather lace-on cheek pad made (reproduction) for the M1-D Garand. $25.
I use a small brass screw and washer to secure it to the walnut stock, so it won't wriggle or shift under recoil from friction against my cheek.

It looks like this, but this isn't my photo:

IMG_5195.JPG IMG_5197.JPG For my deer rifle, a cheap but accurate Savage bolt action .243 wearing a scope with a 50mm lens in tall mounts, I went DIY. My cheek rest or cheek riser or cheek pad, whatever you want to call it, is made with a hand towel, some foam rubber, and black duct tape.
Do it yourself. Redneck engineering.
But it feels good and seems to work fine.

Need some opinions on a decent scope for an M1A. Just recreational shooter looking to hit some steel targets or paper no more then 400-500 yards. If I can even hit anything at that distance. Nothing fancy. Been looking at nikons 308 model 4-12.

Also need some ideas for a good cheek riser
You did not mention it, but be careful if you get a rail that will mount over the breech. Do NOT get the cheapest one, like I did. Mine was made by Magpul and sold on sportsman guide. Waste of money. I'll let you know how Sadler does when I get it and mount it.

Back
Top Bottom