• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Screwing up a perfectly good 91/30

They made so many of them it wouldn't offend me. However, it is neat that the bayonet matches. I'm going to unwrap my bayonet now and see if it matches.

I just cant bring myself to do it.. Got a screening deal on a CG&P nagant while they had them.. all numbers matching, and not forced match but a true numbers matching rifle right down to the bayonet. I want to build a precision rifle.. but I'm finding it hard to bastardize this one.. I just cant bring myself to do it to such a perfect piece of history, I don't want to screw that up.

Am I wrong for thinking that way? Or am I right to think that maybe I can trade it to someone for an equally nice numbers force matched or not matched rifle that maybe is even already in an archangel stock for mine?

I'm planning a timeny trigger, bent bolt, taking it to dobbs and having a proper scope mount attached and that even just that little bit I should have a strong 600 yard rifle. The one I have now shoots to the right (I don't know if its me or the gun but a friend shot it with the same results) but it will shoot pretty good groups considering the trigger and my eyesight on open sights. I blame my shooting for my groups rather than the gun. I know the one I used to own when I was 20 shot MOA but that was before I needed glasses and could see out to 100 yards too. I cant even see my 5" target at 100 yards open sight anymore and have to shoot at a 12"er
Chop it up. Put it out of it's miserable existence as a stock Mosin.

images

Just....dang

Trust your heart....lol

I did it once...just to 'see one done right'. She's a great shooter (1-3/4" at 150yds with match ammo) but i went through over 20 rifles before i found one that was accurate enough to make it worth the $$$. I did all the whistles and bells, even bedded and pillared the action into the stock. Timney trigger, nice glass, rock solid industries scope mount and bolt handle, etc etc

A really fun project but i dont shoot her all that much since i bought a vepr.

If you had it to do over again, would you still do it? Or would you wait til you could afford a ruger precision or mossberg MVP or similar chassis rifle? I have a soft spot for the nagants because its the first "good" rifle I ever owned back when you could pick one up still in the crate for $50 sight unseen.. at least thats what our shop charged.. $75 if he cleaned it and put it on the shelf

if you do it jsut do it tastefully

i had this 91/30 turned into a "modern hunting rifle". I customized the original stock, rsi scope mount, free floated barrel, rsi bent bolt, barrel cut to 24 inches with recessed target crown and timney trigger
work done by dobbs defense
IMG_0103.JPG

If you had it to do over again, would you still do it? Or would you wait til you could afford a ruger precision or mossberg MVP or similar chassis rifle? I have a soft spot for the nagants because its the first "good" rifle I ever owned back when you could pick one up still in the crate for $50 sight unseen.. at least thats what our shop charged.. $75 if he cleaned it and put it on the shelf

I love my mosins...own quite a few and shoot them alot. Now that veprs are available though, you can do a vepr for the same $$$ without needing a gunsmith and you also get that brand new chrome-lined chamber and barrel.

Vepr, Mosin
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Its not worth it due to weight, cost, availability of match ammo, and accuracy

It is an added frustration trying to load rimmed rounds under a scope. Have you ever tried to unjam a round a round that gets its rim caught in the interrupter? Its a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom