• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seems I may have hired myself out of a job...

What exactly does your boss do 15 hours a day, 7 days a week? Are you capable of doing what he does? he is likely working that much to escape other life problems or needs organizational help Because he can’t do what needs doing in a reasonable time.
As an owner I felt my best course was to provide opportunities and reward performance. among Things I valued highly among people was initiative, it is one of the few things you can’t teach.
if he is asking you what you want to do, tell him you want to make his life easier and make both of you more money. Tell him what specifics of his job you can do now and what part you can do with more training. sell the benefit of how he can better spend his time.
another strategy would be to suggest adding another crew, you taking the supervisor role in the new crew until they are trained and a supervisor trained at which point you would repeat the cycle.
the longer you sit at home the worse this is going to get IMHO. Make something happen.
I don't know everything he does that takes that much time. I did ask him to pass some of his workload off to me, but he wants to be in control of every little detail. He won't add another crew because the sales people aren't bringing in enough to keep 2 crews working regularly.

Possibly, but after a month of sitting at home with nothing to do and a meeting where he went as far as asking me what my job should be, I wouldn't say it's much of a leap.
Lot's of roofing companies - look around and see who needs help. Show them both what you can do.

Not sure which dude you are referring to. If the one I "hired", it's got nothing to do with him. Not enough roofs to have us both do the same job, and as someone I consider a friend, I'm not looking to put him out of a job or take money out of his pocket. This is 100% on the owner who promised me a promotion, but never bothered to figure out what that promotion entailed.
sorry i miss understood. i thought the guy you got the job was working all these hours and unwilling
to pass you his work to lighten the load.

I don't know everything he does that takes that much time. I did ask him to pass some of his workload off to me, but he wants to be in control of every little detail. He won't add another crew because the sales people aren't bringing in enough to keep 2 crews working regularly.
Not at all saying this is the case, but I once worked for someone who had major control issues of their job and I was more than qualified to take most of if not all of his work load. After getting to know me over time and beginning to trust me, he started giving me some of his workload. Unfortunately I found out why he didn't allow anyone to do that once I started noticing things. I'm a numbers guy for a living and I started auditing. Turns out he was doing some unethical stuff. I'll just leave it at that. I just updated my resume and looked for my exit strategy.

I
Not at all saying this is the case, but I once worked for someone who had major control issues of their job and I was more than qualified to take most of if not all of his work load. After getting to know me over time and beginning to trust me, he started giving me some of his workload. Unfortunately I found out why he didn't allow anyone to do that once I started noticing things. I'm a numbers guy for a living and I started auditing. Turns out he was doing some unethical stuff. I'll just leave it at that. I just updated my resume and looked for my exit strategy.
I think this situation is similar to your experience, except my boss had a partner a few yrs ago that screwed him over and he is still dealing with some repercussions from that. I only know this because my girlfriend pet sits for him and his wife told her about it. So it seems he has some trust issues stemming from his previous partner.

Yea is he really working that hard? It seems odd he won't let you help?

I would look at roofing and painting jobs to be the project manager. (to run the crews, quality check customer service), even up here them jobs are paying over 60k, so I think your area might even pay more.

Keep us posted and don't give up!

I'm not really expecting to jump right into another 55k or higher job with next to no experience, so that's not that big a deal. But $15/hr or less is not really ideal either. I wouldn't mind staying in the roofing industry, but sales isn't an option. Been there, done that and my days of knocking door to door are over.
I'm moy sure of the pay for our warehouse guys when the start but I would venture to assume it's around $15 or $16 a hour. If it is something you're interested in shoot me a pm, and I'll send you some contact info. FWIW our benefits are top notch, warehouse guys usually work 10 hour days sometimes longer depending on workload, we get a once a year profit share bonus, 2 weeks vacation and 1 week of sick, and possibility for a customer satisfaction bonus every quarter.

I

I think this situation is similar to your experience, except my boss had a partner a few yrs ago that screwed him over and he is still dealing with some repercussions from that. I only know this because my girlfriend pet sits for him and his wife told her about it. So it seems he has some trust issues stemming from his previous partner.
well this would explain it. if the mans name is on this then he is protecting his interest and wants to not allow somebody else screw up what hes worked so had to build. i get it.

Back
Top Bottom