• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Self Defense Law Question

How about if he then turns and approaches his car?

On the one hand,he's moving away (presumably) or leaving.
On the other, he already got a weapon out of his car and threw it at you. He could throw another before you could react.

Still seems highly questionable to shoot, but a tough decision.

The Chicago cop was convicted of 2nd Degree Murder -

The equivalent of Georgia Voluntary Manslaughter. Murder, but no premeditation or "abandoned and malignant heart"

YOU SHOOT AT HIM.

Georgia law applies.

If I shoot at him, it's over. DEAD RIGHT THERE. No excuses, no getting up, no more threat from that subject.

GA Law:

and this really depends on what part of GA you are in.
If you are in some liberal counties/areas, you're likely (at least initially) screwed.

If you are in some more rural, conservative areas, extremely likely it is self defense and you won't even get taken in.

-------
in 2005/2006 we bought a new house in N GA in a country club. It was pretty rural back then. At 4 AM, my Mrs heard the back door lock jingle, a minute later she heard the front door lock jingle. I didn't find out about this until the next day. Asked her why she didn't wake me up.....she said she didn't want to wake me up while i'm sleeping. Oh boy, we had a discussion about that!

Long story short, when I spoke to the sheriff, he asked me why I didn't shoot thru the door OR open the door and start shooting. TRUE STORY. I told him I was asleep, the Mrs was the one who heard the attempted break in. He shook his head and said if it happens again, do what I have to do to defuse the situation, and just to call him and he'd handle it. Apparently they didn't like people trying to break into homes out there.

I couldn't imagine it would have the same outcome if I lived in Fulton/Dekalb at that time.

Back
Top Bottom