Self defense/SHTF: hollows or FMJ?

Self defense/SHTF: hollows or FMJ?

• I need FMJ so my rounds go through multiple zombies!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hollow points do more internal damage and I'm not worried about zombies.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I'll shoot whatever is in my gun at living or undead while eating my tacos

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters

grimreaper

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
42   0
Reaction score
Just curious, what kind of ammunition do you run out of your pistols, sub guns, rifles? As a general sense I keep HSTs In my pistols (EDC and other) and full metal jackets in my rifle. I've heard of a few people that keep 3-5 rounds of hollows in their primary edc and the rest fmj in case the bad guy decides to hide behind a car and keep shooting. Anyone here do something similar? Any hollow points/ hunting rounds in their ar? Not looking to start a caliber war (again) just looking on views.

124 and 147 grain HST in the handguns and PCCs.

55 grain Hornady TAP equivalent in the 5.56 AR with quantities of Green Tip and 55 grain FMJ in reserve if SHTF happens.

110 grain Hornady Zombie Max (A-Max) in the Suppressed 300 BK AR along with several mags of 205 grain Gorilla Silverback expanding subsonics for when I want to be quiet.

175 grain Lapua Scenar in the M1a with 175 grain FMJ for back up.

A FMJ is not typically a good man stopper. I keep some handy in rifle calibers just in case I need to blow up a barrier. In pistol calibers a FMJ really doesn't perform well enough on barriers for me to give up the much improved performance of a good hollow point on soft targets.

Hornady Tap, & Green tip in AR , (swap out for Wolf or reloads a quick range trip)
Critical Defense in Pistols,
00 & #1 Buck in shottys,
914mm iron balls for the mortar
1.jpg

hollow points or expanding ammo for all of my defensive firearms, except the 32 ACP and 22 Magnum pocket pistols. With them I want geater penetration and I don't want the bullet to expand if that will cut back on how deep it goes in to meat.

But I will admit that my stock pile of SHTF zombie uprising ammo is not mostly hollowpoint. It is mostly full metal jacket. I am deficient in that regard. But I do have a few hundred rounds of expanding ammo for my ARs and AKs.
And the rounds are expanding ammo; it's what I keep loaded in my magazines which are handy and ready to lock and load.

Back
Top Bottom