• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF which one do you choose?

Pistol or Rifle?

• Total voters
Just a bit of trivia to help in your decision. A show on the Outdoor Channel was going over the equipment needed for helicopter hog hunting. The man that offered the service ordered pallets of 5.56 55gr. FMJ ammo for the hunts. He went into some detail on why he used that ammo. He said the majority of the hogs were killed with one shot but only with 16 inch barreled guns. They tried shorter barrels but it just didn't have the velocity to take the hogs clean and efficiently. They did several hunts and proved that it was absolutely necessary to have a 16 inch barrel or longer for humane kills. This info is not my opinion but facts given by the hunting service that offered helicopter hunting for pigs just to be clear.

When considering a SHTF scenario I would imagine hunting would be a large primary cause for something with lethal velocity on game. Secondary would be self defense which I believe wouldn't matter as much but to do both I believe the 16 inch would be more desirable. If you are using a different caliber with more punch then a shorter Barrel might be an option to consider buying it with the 5.56 the info above might just give us a pretty solid basis for the longer barrel. Take that for what it is worth.

When you go with shorter barrel lengths you change the parameters the round was designed for.

What use to be a 300/600 yard capable weapon is now reduced to 100/200 yard performance or less as far as instant incapacitation is concerned.

We ran a few 10" AR15s with silencers.
Thin skin game the 55 grain and lighter grain varmint ammo was needed for consistent performance.

Some longer/heavier rounds performed great at less than 100 yards....be cause they destabilized and tumbled from the muzzle.
Accuracy was minute of 18x25 chest size.

I ran 5.45x39 7n6 for years because it did not require a lot of velocity to perform due to bullet design.
It destabilized rapidly, tumbled and might break in half.
I use to shoot coyotes with a Spikes 5.45 upper and have seen exit wounds you could put a fist in.

6.5 Grendel in the Wolf line was a decent performer as well when released.
It had a similar bullet construction.
I bought a few cases so I haven't purchased any in years.

There are several companies that developed and sell ammo for SBRs and subsonic use for hunting.
It works but it ain't cheap.

In a SHTF scenario, if I had to travel with a gun larger than a pistol, I guess the key question is will I have to carry this gun outside of a vehicle at times?
If so, I want the ability to CONCEAL it. Be the gray man, not the open-carry guy attracting attention, maybe pizzing people off, especially if you're a stranger to their area (just passing thru).
Also, there may be military / police out there detaining people for open carry, or disarming visibly armed people.

So unless you're in an all-out war, shooting bad guys and cops and national guardsmen all alike,
I say there's value in sometimes tucking an arm-braced AR "pistol" under a coat or inside a folded blanket or in a duffle bag, esp. in urban / suburban areas.

Back
Top Bottom