• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF which one do you choose?

Pistol or Rifle?

• Total voters
This, but in 5.56 for ammo availability.
image.jpg

Why not both?
300 bo and 5.56

T30 Torx and 1.5 minutes of free time…

The jump between 10.5/11.5 and 12.5 in 5.56 velocity is pretty massive. I wouldn't go below it unless you're frequently visiting shoot houses. YMMV.
I honestly hadn’t even given this a thought. Post like this are why I started up this conversation.

Thanks

I’d want more info before choosing…Since reliability is the most important thing for a single SHTF weapon, I’d want to know more details…manufacturer, gas system details from port size to gas tube length to buffer weight and carrier quality and weight. There’s a lot of factors going into tuning your AR…but if there’s two black rifles on the shelf and I have to choose one without any knowledge beyond barrel length…I’d choose the 16” just for the slight edge of the statistical probability that it will run error free. Now, if they’re both a quality manufacturer with good rep and QC, I’d go 11.5

I’d want more info before choosing…Since reliability is the most important thing for a single SHTF weapon, I’d want to know more details…manufacturer, gas system details from port size to gas tube length to buffer weight and carrier quality and weight. There’s a lot of factors going into tuning your AR…but if there’s two black rifles on the shelf and I have to choose one without any knowledge beyond barrel length…I’d choose the 16” just for the slight edge of the statistical probability that it will run error free. Now, if they’re both a quality manufacturer with good rep and QC, I’d go 11.5
Sig Spear LT
Piston

Coming from a dealer this isn’t a surprising answer!!!
I mean, an 11.5 makes sense for CQB work, its what I setup for me when I was in LE. However a 16" 5.56 gun can work at extended ranges. I think the question that has more weight is what working environment do you expect to deploy the firearm in. If it is only one to stretch out amongst multiple roles I would lean more to 12.5/13.7/14.5. Also if you travel alot a braced pistol has some merit over an sbr as well. Also what optics are you thinking about running. We could probably discuss this topic for days on end lol.

and then piston vs di is another topic too. I work on them regularly and like to have parts to service my junk so I usually prefer di. Suppressor use. yata yata yata. This would be a swell podcast topic, if anyone has a podcast and wants to drink a couple beers while discussing the topic lmk lol.

Back
Top Bottom