• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Self-Defense Tip: You’re Not a Cop

The video had a lot of commentary, but it wasn't very good at explaining the distinctions between "can I shoot?" and "should I shoot" and "must I shoot."

If you're going to draw a line between these, it's a very thin line. Legally, if you can't say that AT THE MOMENT YOU PULLED THE TRIGGER, right then, your life WAS in danger, or you WERE stopping a forcible felony in progress, AND the force you used was not excessive and disproportionate to the threat you faced...
... then not only would the answer be "no" to the "should I shoot" or "must I shoot" questions, but you can't even LEGALLY shoot, either. Not under any of the self-defense laws found in Title 16.

If you ARE, at that moment, in mortal danger from an armed adversary, a felon, who is an imminent threat against you, then you CAN shoot. Is there any way you "should not" shoot? The way I see it, only at the risk of your own life.

And this video does have such a moment. It doesn't last long, but at the instant the guy first pulled that carbine out of his truck, I think the officer had a legal green light to shoot him.
But, a few seconds later, it was clear that the guy was just trying to provoke the cop, probably in a deranged "suicide by cop" mindset. (Not that this eliminates the threat-- people who are armed and suicidal can easily flip to become homicidal. They're not all that predictable and mentally stable, you know?)

But I think the "legal green light" to shoot ended when the guy took the effort to point the gun away from the cop, and even more so later when he held it loosely by the butt stock with his finger tips, and let it dangle. Clearly, there's no "imminent threat" at that point, when the cop has his duty pistol aimed at the guy's chest.

So the cop rolled the dice and took a risk, endangering his own life to give the suspect a few more seconds of life to see if he was serious about shooting a cop-- and the suspect wasn't. Not at that moment. So the cop's gamble paid off.

Here's a case where another deputy tried to give a man a break, a second chance, when that suspect, who had been unarmed but was transporting a rifle in his pickup truck, decided to brandish that rifle while arguing with the officer.

Deputy Kyle Dinkheller, of Laurens County Georgia Sheriff's Office, was killed by this suspect in 1998.

The cop spotted the man's reach for the gun at least 10 seconds before the man pointed it directly at the officer, and even then the man paused a few more seconds trying to get good aim to kill the deputy with his first shot. But that's not how it went down; the Deputy took cover and eventually took the first shot of the gun battle at the suspect, but missed. Both men shot at each other several times, and then the suspect charged the deputy, running forward with a hail of semi-automatic fire from his carbine to keep the Deputy pinned down, and killed him at close range after flanking the Deputy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...Police-officer-shot-dead-Vietnam-veteran.html

The suspect, a Vietnam veteran, was executed by lethal injection in the summer of 2015.

Back
Top Bottom