• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling / Trading to new members

Does asking to see a ccl discourage shady traders from responding to your ad? Serious question....

IMO yes it does. I prob don't need to see a permit for someone that has been on here for a few years with lots of good feedback. But someone who joined yesterday? Yeah I'd like a quick peek at it but I'd make that known ahead of time.

A few years ago I was selling a rifle and I clearly said in the ad that I would like a quick peek at a carry permit. The potential buyer (who was new with no feedback) said that yes he did have a permit and he had no problem showing it to me. Right before we set up a time to meet he let it slip that he didn't actually have a permit and he was actually buying the rifle for his friend. I told him that was very dishonest and there was no way that I would sell him a gun. He got a little pissed about it but I didn't care at all and slept very well that night knowing that at the very least I kept a liar from being an armed liar.

The better we police ourselves, the less likely it is that we will lose this site. Don't get so comfortable doing business here that you become careless. We are dealing with real weapons that have real consequences if they fall into the wrong hands. Don't ever take that lightly.

Always read what’s in the ad, I don’t mind showing my GDL And GFL just ain’t going to be picture taking or address taking. I even don’t mind a BOS as long as we both get one with no addresses on them. I respect you, you respect me. I’ve never had but one to get pissy with me and it was made clear in my ad. They didn’t like it, I’m my own self, and nobody answered for me but me.
Georgia law doesn't require that you have a carry permit to buy from a dealer either. Neither does federal law.
True but a background check has to be run before they purchase it. They can also place it on hold for a few days too.

careful, i almost met up to buy an ak47 from a ****in felon

another ODTer by the luck of god happened to recognize said doucher and gave me a heads up. super happy about that (you know who you are, thank you for the lookin out!)

Nothing at all wrong with buying a gun from a convicted felon.

I have a gun I bought from a convicted felon.

My best friend has a Colt Python he got from a convicted felon.

When a person gets convicted, guns got to go somewhere. The guns don't suddenly become "hot."

If there is solid and open communication from the beginning I am good with a 0/0/0/ without a carry permit. My last deal was the first for the other trader. I sent feedback and didn't receive any but that's another story for the pasture.

I’ve found placing the meet at a local police substation parking lot or sheriff office parking lot has actually worked well. Lost a couple deals over it but hey, haven’t been visited by Atf either. It is our job to help educate new traders to how this handshake/word given system works. I always explain to someone new that when he gives his word on a deal I will hold him to it. It’s worked well except for one.

Nothing at all wrong with buying a gun from a convicted felon.

I have a gun I bought from a convicted felon.

My best friend has a Colt Python he got from a convicted felon.

When a person gets convicted, guns got to go somewhere. The guns don't suddenly become "hot."
less worried about potential legal issues, more worried about him being a ****bag.

when another ODTer with a high rep says to look out i dont need much more than that

asking for a ccp is annoying - means nothing except perhaps making you feel like a "good"
citizen --

At the very least, it means that they were run through the system at one point and approved... It's peace of mind, even if it isn't fool proof...

I think the point is to do the right things... Verify they are a resident with a driver's license. Do basic due diligence. If they give off a weird vibe, you don't have to sell/trade to them just because you agreed to. This is all 100% voluntary... It's no different than if you agree to buy a gun, meet up with the guy and it's not in as good of shape as they claimed, etc... You are free to walk away from a deal if something doesn't feel right. And if they try to give you a negative review, reach out to an Admin and make your case and get it stricken down.

I don't have a problem flashing my carry permit, and my license. Selling a firearm to someone you know isn't a felon doesn't guarantee it wont get sold to someone else in the future who may not be allowed to possess a gun.

I think that none of us can truly know the heart of another... Plenty of people have gone to a dealer, done the 4473 and NICS check, and later used their gun in a crime...

The point here is that we need to do what is plausible, to make sure that the buyer/seller/trader is legit... We have to show due diligence within what the law says, and what is logistically practical...

If I deal with a new ODT member, I can only go by what I see... If the person shows ID and a carry permit, that puts my mind at ease that they are a resident, and have had a solid background check, and passed it, fairly recently. I feel like if an ATF person were to question me, I can truthfully answer that I did what I was supposed to. If their demeanor and attitude holds up and doesn't set off my spidey sense, then I have done what I am expected to and my conscience is clear.

Back
Top Bottom