• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sharpen a knife scary sharp in under 2 minutes

Wow! Talk about buzz kill! My knives are sharp now. They were not before. It is a simple method and I am happy with the results. So, I thought I would share because I have read about a lot of guys, like me who have issues sharpening knives.
I meant no disparagement of your efforts, but was hopefully expanding and adding to the conversation on sharpening in general.

Whatever works for you. I just could never get the hang of doing it by hand. It's probably my ADD kicking in! I just get bored and have to move on to something else.
I liked it cause you have to focus on doing it, but there are time when I wish I could just run it on a rig like this for a short time and be ready to rock

UPDATE:

I listened to what moosensquirrel moosensquirrel said in his above post. So, I did a little research and bought a couple different polishing compounds that have a "grit" to them. I made a few more wheels and used a brown, Tripoli compound that has a grit of about 200-400. I used an old kitchen knife that I dulled on a stone. I then used the brown compound along with the leather stropping wheel. It sharpened the blade.

I am now making 4 new wheels. I took 2 pieces of mdf for each wheel and glued them together for a wider sharpening surface. I have 4 different grits of compounds, 1 for each wheel, that I plan on using in succession.

View attachment 1238621 View attachment 1238622
I saw this on You Tube and decided to try it out.
The first wheel is a piece of mdf with white polishing compound applied to it
This is the wheel used to sharpen the blade.

The second is 5 pieces of leather glued together to hone the blade.

Turn the grinder around so the wheels spin away from you.

Since the grinding surface is mdf and polishing compound, you don't havDe to worry about grinding too much off.

Back
Top Bottom