• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping firearms

T

There is no law or rule that says you have to declare what's in the box.

You do for a common carrier, UPS, Fed Ex, DHS.

USPS is not a common carrier and you do not have to declare the contents. However, there is a long list of prohibited items to mail (live ammunition) and it's on you to make sure you are not mailing one of those.

I just sold a few handguns on GB, I won't be doing that again any time soon. I made it "buyer pays actual shipping" and everyone lost their minds when I gave them a shipping quote (I'm not an ffl so had to do next day air) I even had one guy refuse to pay because of it, claiming that I was scamming him. I ended up finding an FFL who would ship for me but it still wasn't cheap. It was a headache.

I just sold a few handguns on GB, I won't be doing that again any time soon. I made it "buyer pays actual shipping" and everyone lost their minds when I gave them a shipping quote (I'm not an ffl so had to do next day air) I even had one guy refuse to pay because of it, claiming that I was scamming him. I ended up finding an FFL who would ship for me but it still wasn't cheap. It was a headache.

But it keeps firearms out of the hands of criminals.:wacko:

Is it illegal buy a firearm from someone that resides in another state, or is it just illegal to sell a firearm to someone who resides in another state, without doing a FFL transfer?

I've seen anything about buying, it's always about selling. :shocked:

It's illegal to sell alcohol to a minor, but it's not illegal for a minor to buy alcohol, just to possess/consume alcohol.:wacko:

I ship long guns via USPS without issue (normally, if Harold isn't working by himself at the counter).
When I rarely sell a handgun on GB I ship from a local FFL where I buy a good bit of stuff, guns, etc. They charge me a small fee, usually just the shipping Priority Mail as I have the pistol already boxed and ready to go with paperwork, etc. I charge the buyer about $40 to $50 for shipping a handgun and if there's overage, I let the local FFL have it for lunch, LOL.

I don't buy enough stuff from any LGS to get free services. So when I sell a handgun on GunBroker I don't expect to them to ship it for free. But still taking it to my local transfer dealer and paying him to ship the gun by USPS is much cheaper and more convenient than shipping it directly using Fedex's most expensive shipping option, the only one they allow when shipping guns.

Some buyers have a favorite LGS they use for transfers that will not accept guns unless they come from another FFL. If you ship directly be sure to state that their FFL must accept guns from individuals without an FFL.

For handguns I place the gun in the original packaging and then put that in a USPS Priority Mail box. If I don't have the original box I put the handgun in a cheap pistol rug sort of case. The USPS boxes are free as long as you will be shipping with USPS services.

I am about to sell my first rifle on GB. I still haven't placed the ad but plan to charge $40 to ship the gun by USPS if the buyers FFL will accept shipments from non-FFL sellers and $65 if it needs to come from a FFL. That is on the high side but the rifle is not cheap either so I am hoping it will not put off many people.

Is it illegal buy a firearm from someone that resides in another state, or is it just illegal to sell a firearm to someone who resides in another state, without doing a FFL transfer?

I've seen anything about buying, it's always about selling. :shocked:

It's illegal to sell alcohol to a minor, but it's not illegal for a minor to buy alcohol, just to possess/consume alcohol.:wacko:

Usually the rule of thumb is if it crosses state lines for possession of a sale from one to another but needs to go through and FFL. As the owner you can take it anywhere but if you purchase in state A and buyer lives in state B, need to go through an FFL in state of the purchaser if the state differs from the buyer. Just to be safe.

Usually the rule of thumb is if it crosses state lines for possession of a sale from one to another but needs to go through and FFL. As the owner you can take it anywhere but if you purchase in state A and buyer lives in state B, need to go through an FFL in state of the purchaser if the state differs from the buyer. Just to be safe.

That's not being safe, that's being legal and abiding by the laws we have in place.

I think you missed my point.

It's illegal to sell a firearm to someone from another state, without going through an FFL.

Shouldn't it be equally as illegal to purchase a firearm from someone from another state without going through an FFL as well?

It's not illegal fo a felon to purchase a firearm, but it illegal to sell a firearm to a felon or for a felon to be in possession of a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom