Shoot Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel it was as much a "caliber" failure as it was a "bullet" failure

I think we both have said variations of this and got pretty much that a bonded bullet in 9mm still wouldn't have been the anwser. It was .45 or go home and when it comes to rifles it is 7.62X39 or go home 5.56 apparently doesn't work either.

Bullet tech has come extremely far since the 1986 Miami shoot out and RamRoddoc shooting pickups. No matter what pistol round was used there is a good chance you would have had jacket separation and bullet deformation after shooting though that front windshield with a non-bonded round. A .45 wouldn't have performed any better or given the OP or the "victim" any advantage. As PM pointed out if punching though windshields is your thing step up with a .357 Sig in a bonded bullet or just carry around FMJ's.

This is from DoubleTaps website at www.doubletapammo.com

"9mm+P 147gr FMJ Flat Point 50rds. $42.44
9mm+P 147gr FMJ Flat Point 50rds.
Click to enlarge

This is the deepest penetrating load ever offered in 9mm! This is THE load for the woods in 9mm. The flat point helps to cut rather than move around hard objects such as bone. The tough brass jacket on the bullet helps it to keep its shape. A great backup for hunting, camping, and hiking!

Now available!

Caliber : 9mm+P

Bullet : Montana Gold Full Metal Jacket Flat Point

Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps."

This is similar to what I carry in the bottom of my mags. when I carry 9mm.
Their old ones were just hardcast non-expanding bullets but these aren't a bad option when additional penetration is the goal.
Also have similar rounds from the same co. in the bottom of my .40 & .45 mags. as well.

Last edited:
Shooting through the windshield is a tactic taught to those that find themselves under attack in a vehicle. Not overkill. He was taking fire.

Mitber,

My car. My shooting.

Good plan, but good luck! When your life is on the line, survival will be your only concern and speed will help to ensure that.

I broke the stop needle on the pucker factor gauge. Survival was my only concern and in a situation like that muscle memory is the only memory you'll have. I was planning my day in microseconds. No more 9mm's in my cars and I'm shopping for the perfect .45 carry weapon now while using my USP tactical slung until I get it.

It was just some information passed between some guys at the LGS. And seemed to me like actually a smart thing to do, but instead of having separate magazines with different types of ammo, do like PM said and have 1/2 hollow 1/2 ball in the same mag.

Either way, glad you came out unscathed. I hope and pray I'm never in that situation, but I plan on being prepared to handle it the best way I can.

It was just some information passed between some guys at the LGS. And seemed to me like actually a smart thing to do, but instead of having separate magazines with different types of ammo, do like PM said and have 1/2 hollow 1/2 ball in the same mag.

Either way, glad you came out unscathed. I hope and pray I'm never in that situation, but I plan on being prepared to handle it the best way I can.

My SD shot gun is loaded with alternating bird shot to clear the room an slug in case they get behind the couch. ;)

Amen to that last bro. May we spend out whole lives armed and never need to fire a shot in an emergency.

My SD shot gun is loaded with alternating bird shot to clear the room an slug in case they get behind the couch. ;)

Amen to that last bro. May we spend out whole lives armed and never need to fire a shot in an emergency.

I have tear away underwear, that way after I crap myself I can just rip it off and throw it at the BG. If they're brave enough to still hang around, then they get the shotgun lovin'.

I have tear away underwear, that way after I crap myself I can just rip it off and throw it at the BG. If they're brave enough to still hang around, then they get the shotgun lovin'.

LOL! and you complain about getting underwear for Christmas...sheesh! ;)

Last edited:
I have a question......... did Marketableranger's vehicle take any hits other than from his own weapon?

Luke

He said that no offensive shots hit his vehicle; he assumed the first shot connected but realized his foe was still in the fight when the foe fired upon him. He returned fire through his windshield upon being fired upon. The foe sped away when he received incoming fire and my friend pulled over and called 911.

The police are still hunting for the guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom