• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shooting range backstop '?'

Thank y'all for the replies. After busting my butt yesterday to finish up the clearing i admit i was hoping for confirmation on the lazy way out. After a good nights sleep and y'alls advice i realise that a little more effort will give me a way better/safer end product. Thanks again for the advice, this is why i love the ODT.

I am in the same boat. After much thought and research, I settled on the double walled staggered tires, filled with gravel.
I plan on bracing them in the back with pressure treated timber.

I went to a local sawmill and bought red oak full size 2"x12", put 2 telephone poles in the ground. Screwed 2"X12" on both sides and filled with dirt. Mine stops 7.62x39 and I am sure more powerful rounds.

Railroad ties are more expensive. I plan on sinking in 4" posts with cross members and screwing in back tires thru their walls. After they are filled with crushed unwashed #57, it will be solid.

I built one for a friend in his back yard, he had a skidsteer. He did have an slope going up, I had him install Railroad ties. Pinned them with re bar and filled in with sand. It stands about 4ft high and he sifts the shot out once in a while.

Railroad ties are more expensive. I plan on sinking in 4" posts with cross members and screwing in back tires thru their walls. After they are filled with crushed unwashed #57, it will be solid.
One of the members on here just advertised some Ties, he had and a good price.

Back
Top Bottom