• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting with NVGs?

IR lasers and lights. I did some testing with a friends PVS7 with some IR lasers and lights. it's a pretty cool system. Lights things up but the bad guy/pig can't see anything. At all.

the red dot sights with an IR LED in them were hard to get behind unless it's got a big window and you have a thin stock.

From what y'all have said, this is what I've gathered, and it's all making sense to me.

So general consensus is best choice is a dual tube setup is awesome if you want to spend 8k, monocle is better than a cyclops setup as far as getting behind the sight, and if you want to be quick with any NV gear get a good ir laser?

Any dissenting options out there?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

From what y'all have said, this is what I've gathered, and it's all making sense to me.

So general consensus is best choice is a dual tube setup is awesome if you want to spend 8k, monocle is better than a cyclops setup as far as getting behind the sight, and if you want to be quick with any NV gear get a good ir laser?

Any dissenting options out there?

And a nice quality helmet and mounting system! Screw using a Skull Crusher!

The only real way to shoot with helmet mounted nvgs is with a IR laser. Anything else is ridiculously cumbersome. You can get away with an EOTech if you are just destined to do it that way because the window is fairly large/flat with not tube so it's easier to orient your head to pick up the reticle but I still highly recommend a IR laser only. Especially if you are going to be doing anything remotely dynamic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What @Burdy said. IR laser all the way. The OTAL, IMO, is a great cheaper option. I run one on my MPX and it’s always dead on. ATPIAL-C on one of my rifles runs great - just as good as the PEQ’s I run on others, but w/o the ability to use the full power setting, but that’s fine....low works great on all. I haven’t yet sprung for the MAWL, but hear it’s a beast. Getting behind an EOTech or Aimpoint works and is not that bad, but I prefer lasers. The Trijicon RMR is awesome under NV when run on a pistol; same cheek weld issues if rifle or sub gun mounted. The Delta Point I’m not a fan off under NV. It’s a great RMR, but I can’t get the power low enough w/o significant blooming in the NV. My opinion is based off a single tube PVS-14 and a dual tube Sentinel goggle; both helmet mounted. I think if you’re running the PVS-7’s, an IR laser is a MUST.

Question for you guys that have experience...

How do you shoot with a pvs7 type goggle? It seems to me that with the lens in the center getting behind a red dot would be very unnatural. Is it? Is a monocular style unit better to shoot with?

You need some thing like a PEQ15. You zero the later (IR) to the weapon, then when your at the range make your minor adjustments going through a LFX.

If conducting zeroing procedures during daylight hours, you will need the lens cap (notice a small pin hole in the center) over the lemme of the goggle. This allows the goggle enough light collection to function perfectly for zeroing as well as some small training aspects. Not advised to utilize your google all the time during day light conditions.

This is how you use your googles when attempting to shoot. Without an IR laser, you will never be consistent!

Remember they are not optics but video screens.

The whole experience is closer to Pokémon than the olympics.

If you are flying or participate in 10 minute raids like Delta, use dual.

If you are not one of those two people, use single with IR lasers.

It is a lot easier taking a **** behind a tree with one eye open.

You can also close the optic eye to mitigate migraines with still one eye open.

Are you running throat to skull radios? Because it's easier to dick with a radio in your hand with one eye open.

Opening doors or gates?

Walking around dangerous micro terrain?

Is the moon overhead?

Kids? Wife over 40?

Leave one eye open. You can put 100 sensors on the other eye but leave one open.

Remember they are not optics but video screens.

The whole experience is closer to Pokémon than the olympics.

If you are flying or participate in 10 minute raids like Delta, use dual.

If you are not one of those two people, use single with IR lasers.

It is a lot easier taking a **** behind a tree with one eye open.

You can also close the optic eye to mitigate migraines with still one eye open.

Are you running throat to skull radios? Because it's easier to dick with a radio in your hand with one eye open.

Opening doors or gates?

Walking around dangerous micro terrain?

Is the moon overhead?

Kids? Wife over 40?

Leave one eye open. You can put 100 sensors on the other eye but leave one open.
I'm more thinking about calling in the coyotes I hear every night around the house and sitting in the dormer window with a rifle and a beer lol.

But I would like something quality and useful beyond that scope.

Back
Top Bottom