• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shot my first reloads...

TheAreopagite

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
28   0
Reaction score
And I'm still here. :becky:

Better than that, I'm hooked. I've always had a love for doing things with my hands and shooting, so reloading is perfect for me. I'm using a Lee single stage press and taking it slow, looking at the manuals, googling any and all questions. I started with 9mm since I figured a straight-walled pistol case would be easier to learn on. I made 15 rounds using 147gr Berry's Plated Bullets and 4.5gr Power Pistol at minimum load, since I wanted a nice low-pressure, subsonic round. No +p+ for me yet!

After making those 15 9mm, it was too much fun to not run some rifle rounds. I wanted to reload some subsonic 300 BLK-- again a nice low-pressure round to start-- and I had two projectiles to try out: 208gr Hornady Amax and 203gr powder coated cast bullets from Palmetto Projectiles. I read about every thread on the Palmetto cast bullets and was expecting to have some trouble, but I had some Accurate 1680 I picked up from @Captain Spaulding which was reported as the most forgiving/optimal powder. I loaded 10.2gr at COL 1.95" for the Palmetto and 10.7gr at 2.12" for the Amax. I belled the cases for the cast bullets, and used a light crimp with a Lee FCD on all rounds.

I was off to the range Wednesday. All 15 rounds of 9mm cycled in a Glock 26 perfectly, so I guess I'll make a few more than 15 for my next batch! What a great feeling. I moved on to the 300 BLK, loading it into an AR pistol with 8.5" barrel and a H2 buffer. I started with the Amax, shot off a couple of rounds, and got an FTF: the round was stuck partially in the mag and jutting up at a high angle. So I cleared the bad round, shot another, and same thing. Overall I was able to shoot about half before I decided this load wasn't going to cut it. Looking at the cleared rounds, there was some scraping on both the case and the projectile, with the last round having the little plastic insert on the Amax tip broken off and the projectile.

So now I'm thinking "great, these fancy precision Hornady bullets wouldn't work, and now I'm going to shoot temperamental cast bullets. I'm an idiot." I load up the Palmetto rounds, and run the whole 15 mags with no failures, cycles fine, locks back on the empty mag. There was a ton of smoke, which I later learned is pretty normal for cast bullets, though these are powder coated so I'm not sure if there's any lube to burn off. Could be the powder coat too I suppose.

So overall, pretty good. I'm going to run more of the loads that worked, and keep tinkering on that Amax. I'd love some suggestions. I suspect the Amax at 10.7gr was not producing enough gas to properly cycle the action, causing short-stroking and FTFs. After a little more googling a lot of folks are using 11gr or 11.1gr, so maybe I need to bump up the powder a bit. Would you recommend a ladder this time? If so, go up by 1 or 2 grains each time? I don't have a chrono and I'm not to the point of accurizing my loads, just looking for function as I learn the ins and outs. Thanks for your help. Reloading is going to be addictive, I can tell already :wof:.

Welcome to the club!

For the rifle rounds double check the length and I would increase the charge incrementally 10 rounds per then test.

Semi-autos often are finicky about low power loadings and my experience has been the lower charges have more frequent function issues. But I have not messed with this caliber. Perhaps someone who does can chime in.

Congrats! And yes cast bullets smoke.

If you are under the max load and within other specs, then sure bump it up a couple grains. Im not familiar with that particular powder and load so no specific advice.

Great! Now load a real cartridge besides 9mm. :tongue:

Just kidding. Congrats. I'm getting ready to start loading some of the 300 Palmeto stuff. Can't say as I've heard anything bad about them.
They are starting to sell their 203 300blk reman stuff.

Great! Now load a real cartridge besides 9mm. :tongue:

Just kidding. Congrats. I'm getting ready to start loading some of the 300 Palmeto stuff. Can't say as I've heard anything bad about them.
They are starting to sell their 203 300blk reman stuff.
I hear yeah man :becky:. 9mm is too cheap to reload for cost savings, but I though it would be best to start out on a straight-walled pistol case, and the only one of those I have a pistol in is 9mm. Both 45 and 40 are on the eventual list after all the other things I need :wacko:.

The Palmettos are great, albeit with the extra step of belling the case mouth and seating the bullet really deep. It all worked out though.

I load 9mm and .45 acp. I load a LOT of 9mm.. to the tune of a couple thousand rounds a month. I use only fast burning powder (right now CFE pistol because its readily available but I prefer Ramshot Silhouette when I can find it) and Accuracy is the name of the game for me. I find typically max accuracy comes between .5 and .2 of a grain from max load for me with the faster burning powders.

Check out http://http://www.thebulletworks.net/

more or less the same plated bullet you get with Berrys but with the shipping included and discounts on bulk (more than 3,000 projectiles) they are a good deal cheaper. I find no difference in my groups between them, barrys, and xtreeme. I don't have to change my powder measure swapping between xtreeme and bullet works but occasionally I will need to move a little on the barrys.

With the 9mm if I cant get a 5" group @ 20 yards out of my range officer I won't bother with loading that powder/bullet combination. I prefer to keep it at 3" and tighter. My current load is letting me hit a 2" steel target @ 20 yards everytime I pull the trigger, with the exception of a round or two that I will pull the gun and it be my fault I missed and not the gun/bullet. As many thousands of rounds I put down range every year I still have a problem with pulling a couple shots every time I hit the range.. bad habits die hard

Cant help you much on the rifle stuff as I don't load any rifle rounds. I don't have a rifle chambered in anything but .22lr at the moment :) I much prefer shooting pistol competitions right now, eyes aren't good enough to shoot rifles any more

Back
Top Bottom